1500 calls a day

Options
Hello
Just wondering if anyone else is on 1500 calories a day? How are you finding it? I’m 5”3 and weigh around 167lbs and I put ‘lightly active’ just wondering if anyone is seeing results eating this amount per day. Thanks

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I am shorter so got a bit less (1300 and now at 1400-1450).

Just wanted to say that i love your pup :)
  • Beck1087
    Beck1087 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you Swirlybee that’s good to know. I put lightly active because I didn’t want to be given too many calories but actually I’m on my feet all day in my job and I take my dog out everyday for walks so I’m not inactive but 1500 seems a good place to start.

Thanks Panini (like your cat too!!)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Beck1087 wrote: »
    Hello
    Just wondering if anyone else is on 1500 calories a day? How are you finding it? I’m 5”3 and weigh around 167lbs and I put ‘lightly active’ just wondering if anyone is seeing results eating this amount per day. Thanks

I lost the majority of my weight averaging around 2000 (total...not net) calories a day. I’m only slightly taller than you (5’4.5”).
  • Beck1087
    Options
    Gallicinvasion- thanks so much that’s really helpful! If you don’t mind me asking what was your start weight? And since sticking to around 1500 cals a day do you notice a 1lb drop a week in weight every week? Or sometimes less/more? I’ve been ok these last few days. I think I struggle more in the evening so I should try and hold more calories back for the evening 😁
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped eating all the junk food and drinks i ve been downing, its hard for me to even reach my calories goals.. I mean how much spinach can you eat???:-P
    Jokes aside, when I have time to do it properly I eat a 300 cal breakfast , 400-500 lunch\dinner (only one big meal) and I eat healthy snacks all day.. And I mean it... All day...
    +200-400 cal from exercise which I dont eat back...
    Its been working well for me.. Its my first month really changing my plan and I am still losing, so far so good. Next month I am going to calculate my period around my carb eating because I was feeling a little cloudy those days.. It went away when I ate more carbs and my period started ;-)
  • Beatansem
    Beatansem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow shorties! I’m 5’4” and am trying for about 1500 cals as well. I’m right around 200 now and have lost 20 lbs this year. Let’s be MFP buddies! I’ve been on MFP off and on for a long time but have only just starting using the community and making friends on the platform. Would love some support
  • Ws38375
    Ws38375 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4. Starting weight was 235. I am not very active (desk job). I have been on 1350 cals/day for 55 days and have only lost 7 lbs. I have increased my walking/activity so that's helping a little. It's so frustrating to be hungry ALL the time and not losing more than I am!
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Ws38375 wrote: »
    I'm 5'4. Starting weight was 235. I am not very active (desk job). I have been on 1350 cals/day for 55 days and have only lost 7 lbs. I have increased my walking/activity so that's helping a little. It's so frustrating to be hungry ALL the time and not losing more than I am!

Increase your calories by 150 eat heathly snacks almonds banana etc chia pudding to fill up & you will lose more and also not nbe thinking about how hungry you are all the time
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ws38375 wrote: »

So you're losing around 1lb per week. That might not be what you were hoping for, but it's progress!

Are you using a food scale and verifying that the entries you are choosing in the database have accurate calorie info? If not, you are probably eating more than it looks like, causing you to lose a bit slower.

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals? Those are generally filling for most people, in different combos and degrees. If any of them are low, focusing on bringing them up can help. Also if you are drinking any of your calories, many folks don't find beverages filling, and do better when they switch to zero cal or low cal drinks and save those calories for food.

Hang in there!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I stay close to 1500 net calories daily. I consistently lose on 1500 calories. If MFP has given you a calorie goal of 1500, try it for a month. If it doesn't work for you, make adjustments but give it a real try.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch smaller and pretty active, when I was losing I averaged 0.5lb a week eating 1700 cals.1500 sounds like a good starting point for you.

All the best,
    Ruth
  • Beck1087
    Options
    Luvtoeatsweets that’s so good to hear, thank you! I just wanted to see what successes people had that are similar height to me and given that many calories so I love that it’s worked well for you.
    And thank you Debra that’s some good advice. It’s going well so far - I’ll weigh in on Wednesday morning 😊
  • lucyb120606
    lucyb120606 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am 5'7 and i weigh 12st. my calorie goal is 1,200 - 1,500 but i haven't really gone over 1,200 since i started
  • SuperSlayer81
    SuperSlayer81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this is really interesting to see other peoples experiences! I'm 5'3 and 152lbs just now. I was on here aaages ago when I was a bit heavier and lost consistently at 1200 but I really struggle with that now, especially as I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago and CANT STOP EATING 🙈 (although I have started drinking loads of water instead now!) I've upped my calories to 1450 to see how it goes. I have a desk job but I also have a border collie dog which I do a lot of walking with!! Definitely needs to be a lifestyle change for good this time (for me!), good luck all!
  • megleighd
    megleighd Posts: 53 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I am 5'2 and some change and eating about 1200 calories (maybe it's the equivalent if I were 5'4 and eating 1500?). It's working rather nicely, but I stick to only veggies, fruits, and meat. No dairy, bread, or beans.I just started back, but a few years ago doing the same I dropped around 30lb rather quickly (I was about 230 at the time). I started back the day before Thanksgiving, if you can imagine that lol, and down 10lb so far (183). I'll do this for about three months and up it as I become more active. My starting weight was 275 and it's been a three year journey, trying to knock out this last 40lb.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I started properly on MFP (i.e. stuck with it for more than a month!) about 2 years ago with a starting weight of 152lbs and height of 5"3. I can't remember what my initial calorie goal was but I stuck with it for about a year and managed to loose 15lbs in quite a consistent manner.

It was when I got to around 135lbs that things got tricky. My calories were lowered to 1380 by this point even though I only wanted to lose 0.5lbs per week. I really wanted to get under 130lbs but seemed to hover between 133 and 136 for months. I found 1380 really hard to stick to and was clearly eating at maintenance rather than at a deficit. I started to get sloppier and sloppier with my logging until I eventually stopped logging entirely.

I had 6 months off logging (still keeping my exercise the same) before noticing that my clothes were getting tighter and I needed to get back on track. I also hadn't weighed myself in this time. Somehow I had only gained 5lbs so not too much to undo but plugging my new stats into MFP gave me 1685 calories! That's a whole 300 calories more just for being 5lbs heavier! I have no problem sticking to this limit and am already down 1lb but I am dreading when it goes back to 1380. That's just not enough calories for me! I guess I need to start doing more cardio to earn a few hundred back because my currently lifting routine only burns about 100-150 calories so doesn't help much!
  • Kuchiness
    Kuchiness Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 165lbs. I'm 5ft 3". I was told on MFP to do 1200 calories. This was a few years back. So after a few weeks and nearly stabbing various family members I upped my calories to 1650. That worked out a lot better. Current weight 118lbs.....I'm still only 5ft 3" though, which is very frustrating!!

We are the same height and my MFP suggests 1200 cal for me too. I'm hungry most of the time but afraid to have more calories. When you increased the calories to 1650 did you eat anything more specifically? like fat or protein?

Awesome progress on your weight, keep up the good work!