Backpacking Calories

I'm going backpacking this weekend in about 0-20 degree temperatures, not including wind-chill which can be very cold. I will be hiking/snowshoeing for 10+ miles. And of course sleeping in a tent.

I want to make sure I properly fuel myself but still don't want to overeat. I hike quite a bit and partially feel that there's no way I will consume more than I burn. One thing I am confused about is any extra calories I burn from my body trying to keep itself warm for about 28 hours. I really can't find any solid info on calories burned keeping warm and have no idea if it's actually a good amount or miniscule. So the question is, what calorie count should I plan for? And if you have solid info on cold weather calorie burn, I would love the link. Thank you.

I'm female, 50, 5'7" and weigh 200.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I'm no expert and I don't have the scientific studies or anything, but I've googled this in the past since I do a lot of outdoor winter sports and everything I've found leads me to believe that if you're exercising and your body is staying reasonably warm just from the activity, the increased burn from thermogenesis is not worth accounting for. You might burn a bit more when you're inactive (like at night) but again, it's more likely to be more like a couple hundred than a couple thousand calories if I understand it correctly.

I'm interested now and I want to try to look for some studies, but here is one article discussing a study done at the University of Albany that might be a jumping off point if you want to look for some research instead of my hazy recollections.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm no expert and I don't have the scientific studies or anything, but I've googled this in the past since I do a lot of outdoor winter sports and everything I've found leads me to believe that if you're exercising and your body is staying reasonably warm just from the activity, the increased burn from thermogenesis is not worth accounting for. You might burn a bit more when you're inactive (like at night) but again, it's more likely to be more like a couple hundred than a couple thousand calories if I understand it correctly.

I'm interested now and I want to try to look for some studies, but here is one article discussing a study done at the University of Albany that might be a jumping off point if you want to look for some research instead of my hazy recollections.

Thank you. I agree that during the day I will be keeping my body warm with the exercise. But I was curious about additional calories while I slept. A hiking "expert" started that I could burn an additional 1,000 calories while I slept and I just thought that sounded crazy. Besides the fact that I have a 0 degree bag to keep me warm.

Will read the article now.
  • lalalacroix
    peleroja wrote: »

So according to the article, people only burned up to 200 additional calories spending the day in a cold environment.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,595 Member
    I am with you. Burning an extra 1,000 calories while you sleep sounds crazy, and it does not align with my experience of backpacking (i.e., I eat a calorie count pretty close to the usual).
  • lalalacroix
    I am with you. Burning an extra 1,000 calories while you sleep sounds crazy, and it does not align with my experience of backpacking (i.e., I eat a calorie count pretty close to the usual).

That's good to know. It may be quite uncomfortable as it is, I'd at least like to bring the proper amount of food.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    it I'd basically impossible to overeat while backpacking given you are carrying any food you eat for miles over difficult terrain.

When I backpacked for 14 days I tried to bring the most calorie dense foods I could reasonably carry and even then I could only feasibly bring 2500 calories per day. I ended up losing almost 10 pounds from that trip (was 200 miles total).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited December 2018
    I did winter camping for two winters in upstate New York. I was based in a house, but slept in a tent in the nearby woods. Best sleep of my life!

This obviously doesn't apply to anyone who is backpacking, but I will just take a minute to reminisce about my great setup. I was on a platform that had an A-frame above it, so I was off the ground, and could throw a tarp over the top. I had a four person tent plenty big enough to use a regular full size mattress. It was a three season tent, which I made up for with my mummy bag, the coldest-rated sold by LL Bean at the time, and my super-heavy wool-filled comforter.

I was quite comfortable at 17 degrees F. The lowest I made it to was 7 degrees F. A small winter tent would have been much warmer, but I had purchased one a few years earlier and was never able to get the new fabric smell out of it, despite having it set up for weeks, so went with the three season tent and lots of insulation.

It wasn't the cold that got to me, but the four snow storms with over two feet of snow each, and the next November I moved to Florida, where I was miserable for 6 summers until I moved back to New England where there are proper seasons.

Enjoy!

Layers!
  • lalalacroix
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I did winter camping for two winters in upstate New York. I was based in a house, but slept in a tent in the nearby woods. Best sleep of my life!

This obviously doesn't apply to anyone who is backpacking, but I will just take a minute to reminisce about my great setup. I was on a platform that had an A-frame above it, so I was off the ground, and could throw a tarp over the top. I had a four person tent plenty big enough to use a regular full size mattress. It was a three season tent, which I made up for with my mummy bag, the coldest-rated sold by LL Bean at the time, and my super-heavy wool-filled comforter.

I was quite comfortable at 17 degrees F. The lowest I made it to was 7 degrees F. A small winter tent would have been much warmer, but I had purchased one a few years earlier and was never able to get the new fabric smell out of it, despite having it set up for weeks, so went with the three season tent and lots of insulation.

It wasn't the cold that got to me, but the four snow storms with over two feet of snow each, and the next November I moved to Florida, where I was miserable for 6 summers until I moved back to New England where there are proper seasons.

Enjoy!

Layers!

Thanks you for that story and I am quite jealous of your adventure!
  • lalalacroix
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    it I'd basically impossible to overeat while backpacking given you are carrying any food you eat for miles over difficult terrain.

When I backpacked for 14 days I tried to bring the most calorie dense foods I could reasonably carry and even then I could only feasibly bring 2500 calories per day. I ended up losing almost 10 pounds from that trip (was 200 miles total).

Yeah I've actually planned for 2,500 calories; I'm losing on 1,850.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    There basically no way you can overeat while backpacking. Especially in winter when you'll need to devote more pack space and weight to warm clothes.

Please don't underestimate the cold. Bring more insulation than you think you need. Including beneath you. Eat a big meal before bed. A hot water bottle in your sleeping bag can be a blessing too.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    edited December 2018
    Silk under layers are my go to solution for staying warm in outdoor activities, including sleeping in tents in the winter months
  • lalalacroix
    No we are not underestimating the cold. Actually this area is known for its' steady wind and wind gusts. If it becomes bad enough we won't get far at all. To be honest this is more of a test weekend due to some new gear that's why our total mileage is just around 10 miles.

And I didn't know that silk was known for its' warm qualities. That would feel very nice inside my sleeping bag.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    No we are not underestimating the cold. Actually this area is known for its' steady wind and wind gusts. If it becomes bad enough we won't get far at all. To be honest this is more of a test weekend due to some new gear that's why our total mileage is just around 10 miles.

And I didn't know that silk was known for its' warm qualities. That would feel very nice inside my sleeping bag.

I learned about silk sock and glove liners the year I was introduced to downhill skiing in the Rocky Mountains.
    They are a game changer, IMO.

my favorite source is WinterSilks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Enjoy!

Layers!

Thanks you for that story and I am quite jealous of your adventure!

Please make sure you come back and update us about your adventure :)
  • lalalacroix
    I will - with beautiful photos hopefully!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited December 2018
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Yeah I've actually planned for 2,500 calories; I'm losing on 1,850.

you will be burning more than 2500 calories on a backpack...I'd worry more about keeping up your energy level rather than if you are eating to much.

Backpacking myself I tracked and I was burning about 5000 calories per day. I was a 6' 165 pound man carrying a 20-45lb pack over 12-18 mile days over mountain terrain. Doing that you cannot carry enough food to overeat. Long distance backpackers have to take days to gorge themselves in towns eating entire gallons of ice cream and multiple hamburgers in order to not waste away and even then they struggle with it.

You being a 200lb woman if you are doing 10 mile days with a backpack you will be burning more than 2500 TDEE
  • Aaron_K123
    There basically no way you can overeat while backpacking. Especially in winter when you'll need to devote more pack space and weight to warm clothes.

Please don't underestimate the cold. Bring more insulation than you think you need. Including beneath you. Eat a big meal before bed. A hot water bottle in your sleeping bag can be a blessing too.

This. I'd focus on your gear and making sure you have a good time rather than on your diet. The exercise will take care of that for you.
  • Aaron_K123

I just realized you said 10 miles total not 10 miles per day. Does that mean it is 10 miles in so you hike in 10 miles then hike out 10 miles for 2 10 mile days or is it 10 miles total like 5 miles in and 5 miles out? Or are you taking multiple days to do it in. I mean if this backpack is doing like 2 miles a day or something and you bring 2500 calories per day then yeah you might be burning less that I thought.

More useful number would be how many hours of hiking with a pack per day and how many miles per day. I suppose if you are being super leisurely about it it is possible than you wouldn't need 2500 calories...but you'd have to be very leisurely.
  • lalalacroix
    It's hard to say how many miles because the weather can be really terrible in this area. I think 10 miles will be the minimum hopefully in just over 24 hours. The amount of time is also up in the air due to weather and amount of snow. I'm not the fastest snowshoer when the snow is very deep. Not to mention that the hikes are very steep.

I did plan for 2,500 calories on Saturday. I have so much food it makes me wonder how I ever got fat in the first place. But then again I won't be bringing wine.
  • lalalacroix
    Plus I'm losing at 1,850 so 2,500 doesn't compensate for a giant calorie burn. I was really looking for a happy medium between eating enough to have great energy and not overeating. But my first instincts were right and I probably wouldn't even be able to overeat.