Scale recommendation

Options
Hello, just getting started and looking for a recommendation for a scale. Would like one to track more than just weight and be able to sync to an app so I can see history. Thanks!!

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings scale. They got bought by Nokia and then sold back to the Withings guy, so I'm not sure what name brand they are now.

Not cheap by any stretch. Mine was in a clearance bin, but still not cheap.

Most here will say the BF% numbers are crap. I've got my trend for a couple of years and while no one number is good, I think the trend is interesting. But I've not compared it to a Dexa scan so I don't know if it is close to reality, just that it has dropped significantly.

Best part is I step on it, wait for the numbers to show up and that's it. I don't need to record it anywhere and it shows up in Libra (android), trendweight.com, Garmin Connect and here. I tend to look at trendweight more than anything.

Do you have other connected things (Fitbit, or similar) because if you do, it may be best to stay in the same realm. I didn't buy a Garmin scale because, at the time they had bad connection issues and I found the Withings in a clearance bin.

• Katelin7141
    Katelin7141 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Aria 2 Scale. It automatically syncs to my fitbit, myfitnesspal, and apple watch. I'm sure it syncs to more than that. Those are just the things I have it sync to. Here is an amazon link... https://amzn.to/2E9tLdD
  • summrs1
    summrs1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I do have a Fitbit, but not sure I want to spend that much.

For the Withings, what model do you use? Looks like there are a few out there. I agree on the BF%, but agree that trending would be beneficial to see over a period of time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Mine is an old model. I think it is closest to the Body+, but it gives me heart rate as well (usually different than what my watch shows so I tend to step off before the number pops up).

Mine shows BF%, but not composition.

Mine shows the CO2 concentration and temp. But not the forecast (so the temp is usually 22C or so). Really useless information.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Mine is an old model. I think it is closest to the Body+, but it gives me heart rate as well (usually different than what my watch shows so I tend to step off before the number pops up).

Mine shows the CO2 concentration and temp. But not the forecast (so the temp is usually 22C or so). Really useless information.

Sounds like yours is the WS-50, which is the same model I have. Nice scale, very reliable wifi sync. As you said, I take the BF% numbers with a (large) grain of salt, and I have the heart rate feature turned off so it doesn't even display (it's all customizable from within the phone app). I have mine set so it only shows weight, BF% and weather forecast when I step on it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Weight Guru at Target. It syncs with Fitbit which syncs with MFP. I bought the bluetooth one so you have to have the app open near the scale for it to sync. I do like that it seems to weigh consistantly and I can move it around without it needing to recalabrate like my Fitbit Aria did. I believe I paid around $60.00.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Sounds like yours is the WS-50, which is the same model I have. Nice scale, very reliable wifi sync. As you said, I take the BF% numbers with a (large) grain of salt, and I have the heart rate feature turned off so it doesn't even display (it's all customizable from within the phone app). I have mine set so it only shows weight, BF% and weather forecast when I step on it.

Just looked at my app. I have the Smart Body Analyzer. Looking online it may be the WS-50

I see I have weather turned off (likely doesn't work in Canada) and air quality and heart rate turned on. Guess I can turn a couple of them off.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Just looked at my app. I have the Smart Body Analyzer. Looking online it may be the WS-50

I see I have weather turned off (likely doesn't work in Canada) and air quality and heart rate turned on. Guess I can turn a couple of them off.

Yep, that's the WS-50.

The air quality thing pops up if I touch the silver button in the center of the scale at any time. I can't think of any reasonable use case for it, so I don't bother with it.
  • summrs1
    summrs1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Air quality on a scale? That sounds useless and a reason to charge more money.

Thanks for the information!! I will look into them and hope to have something purchased by the end of the weekend.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    summrs1 wrote: »
    Air quality on a scale? That sounds useless and a reason to charge more money.

Thanks for the information!! I will look into them and hope to have something purchased by the end of the weekend.

Truth be told, bodyfat% and 'body composition' are useless and a reason to charge more money for those type of scales. They're 'measured' using BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis), which, on consumer-grade devices, is highly inaccurate and variable. I mainly bought the Withings scale for the ability to sync over wi-fi.

Excellent read on BIA here: https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/