I lost a bunch of weight and I’m wondering if this is healthy

Options
To preface this, I am 174cm (5’8) and I currently weigh 94.5 kg (208.3 lbs).

I’ve been aware that I’m way overweight so for the past seven weeks I’ve undertaken a healthy calorie deficit, it started out at 1,500 but now it’s 1,200-300. I’ve lost 15.2kg (33.7 lbs) and I’m curious if this is healthy or not. Btw, I don’t excercise or go gym, I don’t have the time.

I’ve not experienced any weird symptoms like dizziness or extreme hunger pangs; I rarely feel hungry even. I also drink a lot of water. I’m just worried that there might be an issue with this calorie deficit for my weight that I haven’t realised yet?

Any issues you can think of?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    That's almost 5 pounds a week! Not healthy at all if it's a steady loss, but did you lose a lot in the first week or two and then slow down, or are you still losing at that rate? Combine a high rate of loss with no exercise and you are losing muscle as well as fat. You are also setting yourself up for health problems (brittle nails, hair loss, gall bladder problems for a few) as well as doing your heart no favors. If you're still losing at over 4 pounds a week you really need to slow down for your long-term health's sake. You might not notice symptoms until it's too late to head them off.
  • hunnymoons
    hunnymoons Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    At your height and weight, you have absolutely no need to eat as few as 1200 calories. What pace of weight loss did you enter into MFP, and what calorie goal does MFP recommend?

It recommended 2,200 but that was when i was 242 lbs
  • hunnymoons
    hunnymoons Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    That's almost 5 pounds a week! Not healthy at all if it's a steady loss, but did you lose a lot in the first week or two and then slow down, or are you still losing at that rate? Combine a high rate of loss with no exercise and you are losing muscle as well as fat. You are also setting yourself up for health problems (brittle nails, hair loss, gall bladder problems for a few) as well as doing your heart no favors. If you're still losing at over 4 pounds a week you really need to slow down for your long-term health's sake. You might not notice symptoms until it's too late to head them off.

I didn’t even consider these other issues, I might consider a healthier deficit then :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I believe the general guideline is not to lose more than 1% of body weight per week. I would recommend sticking with the calories prescribed by myfitnesspal and not go lower. I’d also recommend you make sure to get plenty of protein to help minimize loss of muscle. Don’t stress if you have a small gain when you initially bump your calories up. Give it a few weeks to balance out. After that large of a deficit, you might even consider taking two weeks at maintenance calories before going back to a deficit
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    hunnymoons wrote: »
    At your height and weight, you have absolutely no need to eat as few as 1200 calories. What pace of weight loss did you enter into MFP, and what calorie goal does MFP recommend?

Why do you believe that you should be eating 1000 calories less after losing 34 pounds?

Put your current stats into MFP and eat the number of calories it tells you to eat.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    hunnymoons wrote: »

Have you recalculated at your current weight?