After really hard workouts I always get headaches???

Options
I'm fair sure it is not due to dehydration as I drink usually about 2, 600ml bottles of water at the gym alone and then 8-10 glasses outside the gym.

I have scoliosis and depression. Could the scoliosis be linked in with this somehow?
Anyone know what could be causing this ??

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm fair sure it is not due to dehydration as I drink usually about 2, 600ml bottles of water at the gym alone and then 8-10 glasses outside the gym.

Anyone know what could be causing this ??

Do you have any health problems?
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are fueling your workouts with Protein and Carbs. Headaches while working out means your body isnt getting enough fuel!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    So I googled it,and everything I looked at seemed to say the same thing ..which is see a DR to rule out anything serious here are the links so you can read through them yourself.

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/after-exercise-headache.html
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/996552/causes_of_headaches_after_exercise.html?cat=70
    http://ezinearticles.com/?After-Exercise-Headache---More-Serious-Than-You-Think?&id=17657
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Also if you are on any kind of medication it could be caused by that.Personally if I was you I would go see a DR.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    and can scoliosis be linked with it at all?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do see a doctor - I think it's sensible to check it out.

In the meantime, maybe do a body check for muscular tension in your body. For instance, I often get a headache swimming, because of the way I hold my head and neck, producing a lot of tension in my neck. Sometimes I get the same from running, from kind of gritting my teeth and setting my muscles hard to 'push through' when the going is tough. I have to consciously relax these muscles as I'm exercising to help with this. Does that sound familiar to you?
  • newzgirl
    newzgirl Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there ...

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get those starting weight and goal weight virtual models to show up in your post? I think it is a great idea!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    and can scoliosis be linked with it at all?

It could be. The curvature can produce headaches *anyway*. Added stress with exercise might be contributing. I'd see your doc. If s/he thinks it's linked, maybe seeing a sports physio or a really good PT for a few sessions to work out how to avoid the pain might make sense?
  • Hi,
    I used to get real pounders after doing a long session of 2 -3 hours, so i tried using a drink called Viper from Maximuscle, it has electrolytes, carbs and amino acids and i found that it helped.

:smile:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This may sound really really strange, but when you get the headache, lick some salt. Like a tequila shot with out the lime and tequila. If that's your problem you will instantly start to feel the headache lessen. I used to get em all the time, and because you're sweating and eating healthier your sodium levels in your body might be low. I used to keep a few McDonalds packets in my locker when I was in high school for after practice for just that reason.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    As most have said, it would be good to talk to your doctor, I believe in another post you may have said you are going to see one soon . . . ? That would be a good question to add to your list. There are many possibilities, hopefully a doctor could help you narrow them down. For instance, I get migraines. Very occasionally I might get one from an intense workout. Some people who suffer from migraines have found that exercise, especially high impact, is a trigger for them. That's one example, as are too little food, your scoliosis, etc, so it's best to discuss it with a doctor, especially to make sure it's nothing serious.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    As most have said, it would be good to talk to your doctor, I believe in another post you may have said you are going to see one soon . . . ? That would be a good question to add to your list. There are many possibilities, hopefully a doctor could help you narrow them down. For instance, I get migraines. Very occasionally I might get one from an intense workout. Some people who suffer from migraines have found that exercise, especially high impact, is a trigger for them. That's one example, as are too little food, your scoliosis, etc, so it's best to discuss it with a doctor, especially to make sure it's nothing serious.

True but there is a good month until one is even available, canberra drs are horendous!
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    could be a side effect of any medicines you are taking?
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Is there anything that makes the headache better? Or do they just go away on their own? It could be from developing low blood sugar from exercising, so having protein before and after exercise might help.

As the other posters said, a trip to the doctor may be in order. Hope you figure it out!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    my guess is glucose or blood sugar. Are you thirsty even after you drink a lot?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    my guess is glucose or blood sugar. Are you thirsty even after you drink a lot?

Yup I am usually still thirsty actually!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Is there anything that makes the headache better? Or do they just go away on their own? It could be from developing low blood sugar from exercising, so having protein before and after exercise might help.

As the other posters said, a trip to the doctor may be in order. Hope you figure it out!

I usually have to sleep it off. And I have an appt but the closest one is not for than a month!
  • bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Caveat: IANAFE and IANAD

The first question group of questions I'd ask: what kind of workouts are you doing? Length and intensity? Are you outside/inside Heat or comfortable temperatures?

Obviously a Doctor would be helpful. But until then, figure out if you're getting enough water?

You can make yourself into a guinea pig if you'd like, try changing one thing each time you work out (while keeping the workouts
    similar otherwise).

Perhaps add another 600ml of water during the workout?

1.2 liters may seem like a lot, but if you have an extensive workout you could still find yourself dehydrated. I may be atypical but I have a 50oz camelbak, and 2 24 ounce water bottles and by the end of the workout, I'll have gone through all of that and had to stop just to refill one of the water bottles to finish. and even after all that I was still down a good 2 pounds before and after the workout.

As someone else pointed out, you could be 'bonking' or having a glycerine crash as well, a quick way to test that is to eat something about an hour before you work out. see if that helps

Good luck and keep us updated!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    drink 1 cup of O.J. when you get home from your work out. Wait 10 min. If that takes away your headache or almost takes it away, check your BG. Blood Glucose.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE DRINKING WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH WATER. You are depleting your body of electrolytes (Potassium, Chloride & Sodium) If you truly drink that amount of water, I am surprised you are just getting headaches! Seriously, you can die from this. You should max out at 9 - 8oz glasses a day!