strength training

Options
How do I calculate calories burned when I do weight training?

Replies

• bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an HRM, I think you have to do what I do - just go into cardio, log weight training, and it calculates it based on time, etc.
  • EmilyPippin
    Options
    I'd like to know, too. I was really bummed when I did 30 minutes of arms and shoulder weights and didn't earn any calories! One other person I know who is on here splits the workout. For example, if he does an hour of strength training, he lists it, but puts half of it as a cardio exercise. Not very accurate, probably, but more accurate than nothing.
  • EmilyPippin
    Options
    Thanks! never thought of that. Do you still log in the strength training section, too, or do you just skip it?
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM a month ago, it really helps
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks! never thought of that. Do you still log in the strength training section, too, or do you just skip it?

I skip it. I have a notebook that i take with me and record all myworkouts in there, i dont need to log it here as well. i just care about the calorie count.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Its under cardio;

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
  • EmilyPippin
    Options
    Just to confirm: HRM = Heart rate monitor?

10333317.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BlueSkies_12
    BlueSkies_12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    well I am duh, i have been using 'pilates' to calculate calories for my weight training....i didn't know weight training was listed under cardio!! THANKS! Now i will use it!!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

I recently started logging it under cardio, too and still add it under strength training, so when I print out my reports, I can see what all I did that day, rather than just 45 minutes of strength training. It is helpful to me.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    HRM is heart rate monitor. Get one with a chest strap if you can, it's way more accurate. I was surprised to see how much I was *really* burning as opposed to me [lower] guess-timations of what my weight training was burnining.
    It's also very motivating to me ... I can do 25 more calories, what's 3 more minutes [tracks time, too], I can get my heart rate up 8 more points, etc. I found myself pushing myself harder when I realized I was so close to another few mins or 50 more calories.

I love my HRM! It's my favorite gadget!:flowerforyou: