MFP for Kids

Options
I have two children ages 15 and 11. They are both overweight, and interested in being a part of my wellness journey. My youngest (which is a girl) asked me about a MFP account the other day. While I want to support her goals, I am concerned. I do not want her to become overly critical of her body, or suffer from poor body image. I want her to watch what she eats, but I'm not sure I'm ready for her to be counting every single calorie every day. I'm looking for opinions from others. Am I being too protective?

Replies

• jwestbay1
    Options
    I don't think that you're being too protective at all. She's still at an age where all of her higher cognitive functioning skills aren't fully developed yet, and it's really easy for children to misinterpret what is healthy and what isn't when you try to present weight loss as a math equation. If she really wants to lose weight, her brain might start processing calorie counting as "the less calories I eat, the more weight I will lose" (ok, a lot of adults still think this way too, but that's another story). I think that just modeling healthy habits for her and involving her in making meals and learning about healthy cooking would be a good start, as well as being active with her.
  • lynnruiz81
    lynnruiz81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, your being a good mom, kids that age dont need to worry about calories, they just need to be aware of the foods they eat and that they are good for them, I also have 2 daughters, 6 and 11..........I just have healthier foods in the house and make sure they dont overeat the bad foods when they have it. If your very concerned see their Dr and have them referred to see a nutritionist.............this way they can hear it from a professional how they should be eating, and it wont be a "calorie counting" scenerio for them. Good luck!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Personally, it sounds to me like you're being a great mom! A lot of times yo-yo dieting (and eating disorders!) start in the teenage years as girls (and boys) become too critical of their weight and compare their body size and shape to their peers.

If she truly wants to lose some weight, and has some to lose, and wants to get more in shape, could you have her join you? By that I mean invite her to workout with you, when you prepare a healthy meal for yourself make sure she has the option to eat that same healthy meal. That way she gets the benefits of this healthy lifestyle, but without all the focus on the exact calories.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any reason an 11 year old needs to be that fussy about getting healthier. Maybe you could just explain to her some basic concepts about eating more veggies and moving more, etc, and see how that goes first? I'm sure she would enjoy being able to eat similar things as you and maybe workout with you to be like her mom, too. It could be some fun bonding, and maybe if she still wants an account after some progress is made you can talk about it again, then.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    honestly? most kids are going to grow up to be a bit self concious of their body anyway, it's a sad truth but there's not much you can do about that tbh. I'd say let them join on your journey, but really emphasize it's about becoming healthier rather than thinner! I wish I'd started this when I was that age, would have saved a lot of miserable teenage years being overweight. If your kids are overweight they do need to lose the weight to be healthy, so treat it like a family project, you can have lots of fun together cooking up healthy, tasty food and exersizing together!
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I say if she's motivated enough to want to start using MFP then it should be ok...but with your guidance. If you see that she's becoming overly obsessed with calorie counting then step in and try to help her see that thats not the most important thing. Living healthy is what she should be striving for...not obsessing over her diet.

If I had had MFP when I was 11 I might not have had the weight issues I've had since junior high. I think it can help but at her age it needs to be monitored by a loving parent such as yourself. Hope that helps a little :)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Well i think you should get her an account. I've struggled with weight since age 12. I wish my mom would have found something like this for me. Good eating habits and exercise has to be taught. You admit that she doesn't have those skills. You both need this to help get healthy. The early yes can be hard for any child. Society has already taught us as adults and children to have poor body image if we don't look a certain way. I think MFP will be a positive influence by showing the importance of health and not just looks. Of course you will monitor her online activities just as any other internet site. :happy:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Site rules and TOS require that all users be 18 or over, and signing up is a legal declaration that you are 18 or over.

This is because the site is NOT set up to give nutritional info to children or teens that are still growing and have VERY different nutritional needs - and calorie restriction can be VERY dangerous for children and teens and can have permanent consequences. Any health and weight loss program for a child needs to be supervised by a physician.

Also, the site rules, and especially forum rules, are not set up to protect children.

So no, you cannot allow your children on MFP, without breaking site rules and the law.

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.