What should I do?

Options
I am in the process of trying to cut some weight but also trying to gain muscle what type of things should I do while following the guidelines this app has given to reach my weight goal and still build muscle

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Generally speaking those are 2 separate goals that require different paths.

Weight loss = calorie deficit

Fat loss = adequate protein intake, strength training with progressive overload, calorie deficit

Muscle gain = calorie surplus, strength training with progressive overload, adequate protein

If you are at a healthy BMI you could try Body recomposition. It’s extremely slow loss of fat with an extremely slow muscle gain. It requires eating around maintenance, strength training with progressive overload, and adequate protein intake.
  • anthonycecil4276
    Options
    Thanks , I’m just trying to shed a few pounds , I’m not tottalt satisfied with just watching my eating habits so I’ve also been working out , which I wouldn’t want to just work out with no long term effect due to cutting weight
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Thanks , I’m just trying to shed a few pounds , I’m not tottalt satisfied with just watching my eating habits so I’ve also been working out , which I wouldn’t want to just work out with no long term effect due to cutting weight

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may actually want to look into doing a recomp rather than losing weight. Recomping is slow but you gradually add muscle while losing fat to change your body composition. To do this you generally eat at maintenance focusing on high protein foods and a progressive training program.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

If you're still a bit above a healthy weight, think of it this way: If you're in a substantial calorie deficit, the long-term effect of working out is to keep as much of your existing muscle as humanly possible while losing fat, so that you need not spend an even greater amount of time post-weight-loss gaining your old muscle tissue back, before you can go on to build new muscle tissue.

Keep the deficit small, if you can afford to lose very slowly, and your odds of potentially adding a bit of muscle start to go up, especially if you're new to weight training.

As an aside, I'd add that if you're not enjoying your workouts to the point they don't seem worthwhile for general health and fitness benefits, perhaps you should have a bit of a rethink about what activity, how much, how often, how long, and how intensely you're working out.