Eating out for Birthday

Options
I have a birthday coming up in two weeks. Usually we would celebrate by going out to an Indian Food Restaurant, as I love Curry. This year because I am on MFP I don't want to eat somewhere that I can't figure out the calories, and I don't want to "blow" my whole program in one day of overeating. I guess I could not log that day, but I'm wondering if there is a fun alternative to blowing it. I was thinking there is a cute restaurant that serves sushi that floats by on a little boat, or a real fancy restaurant that serves Browned Trout. We love Olive Garden, but eat there all the time. I would like to do something special.

Any ideas?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I say treat yourself for your birthday, it's just one day! :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I would say treat yourself its your birthday
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I say treat yourself for your birthday, it's just one day! :)

yep !
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I think it is ok for you to celebrate your day. You can exercise too during the day to make you feel better but log it. No matter how much you had that day log it.

Planning ahead is the best weapon, then go to their website and look at their menu and try to find your best option calorie-wise.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    One day will not blow your whole diet. Go enjoy yourself.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, its your birthday! Have fun, enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day. One day isn't going to blow all your hard work out the window.
  • MamaMayo
    MamaMayo Posts: 30
    Options
    You can treat yourself with moderation, go online and look up all nutritional facts of places you would like to go or have interest. I would write down what you want to order, treat yourself with some cake...it is you BIRTHDAY! FYI...The Olive Garden is one of the most unhealthiest places to eat, I worked there for 3 years, used to train, knew all nutritional facts of the food. I left last October, best thing I ever did...lost 20 pounds in less then a year. I have only eaten there 3 times since I left, order "garden fare" food. Enjoy your birthday, do treat yourself but moderation is the key! If you go over, then get out the next day and burn those calories away....
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I say also, the hell with it, treat yourself and don't log any of it... Have a guilt free day, then the next day start over your health journey. I did that for my b-day this past July, but it was hard to get back on the horse again, but I did! And I know you can do this...

So eat your indian food and enjoy it! and cake and what ever else you've been missing for a while! :drinker:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. One day will not ruin everything for you. A few weeks ago I faced a similar problem, but it was my anniversary not bday. I originally tried saving my calories for dinner. I DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ADVISE DOING THIS. That did not work out as planned. After my morning workout I was famished and had to eat something. I ate something small, like a piece of fruit, and guess what...I was hungry an hour later. Not only that, I felt weak and tired. I ended up eating a decent lunch. That evening at dinner my hubby and I had appetizers, dinner with a bottle of wine, desert and coffee. The next day I made sure I got right back on track. My point being that I still lost weight when it was time for my next weigh in. So really do not stress over it too much. It's your birthday and YOU deserve to enjoy it. :smile:

Hope you have a Happy Birthday!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    What I usually do is workout hard the day of - remember it's what you eat and burn in a 24 hour period - Do log in but work out so you can have ALL those extra calories to consume....Happy Bday!!!:smile:
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My best advice: PLAN AHEAD. Go look up nutritional infomation of different restaurants you think you might want to go to. Compare different meals and see what would work best for you. Then go there and celebrate for your birthday. Work out during the day so that way you have room for extra calories. And if you go over don't fret. It's your birthday. One day. It won't blow your whole diet by treating yourself once in a while. Just don't eat like that every day. And don't stop logging. =) Have a wonderful Birthday and eat something yummy!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    yesterday was my anniversary. I planned ahead but still failed. Lol. But I had an amazing day. Today, it is back to the grind. Special occasions happen. That is what makes them special. Just don't do it every day, week or month.
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Totally treat yourself! It's just one day and FAR FROM blowing your whole program.

However, when eating out it helps to pick a place with a website that lists nutritional info. You can pick out what you want to eat ahead of time. Don't even look at the menu when you get there -- in my experience it will just tempt you to order something non-healthy with all the pictures and yummy descriptions they often put in there.

Here is a site that has helped me in the past: http://www.500calorierestaurantmeals.com/

~ Joanna
  • dreaasha
    dreaasha Posts: 31
    Options
    My birthday is coming up next week, and I'm also going to get indian food to celebrate it. The way I see it, it's my special day, and I'm not going to pig the hell out, but I'm also not going to limit myself. It's only one day-enjoy it. I doubt you'll be eating an entire cake on your own, right?

And happy birthday, if I don't see you around here in the next 2 weeks!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It'd take roughly 3500 calories on top of what you'd normally burn in a day to gain a single pound. Even if you did that (and chances are you'd have to put some effort into it) it's a pound. Enjoy your birthday. Do some extra exercise if you think the guilt will get to you and get back on track the next day.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Go with your favorite thing (if Indian maybe try to eat less rice) just log "quick calories" that will be over for the day then back to real eating before and after that meal. Maybe a little extra calorie burn with it. Have a Happy Birthday!!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your outing-it is your birthday :-)