Looking for fast easy veggie recipes...

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
I admit, I dont eat my vegitables. I know it's a problem and I'm going to change. But I really hate they're taste, texture, everything about them really.

And it really doesn't help I've gotten food poisoning from both uncooked lettuce and spinach. (I can't even look at a salad. And I eat only frozen spinach now.)

So I'm looking for some kind of recipe that cooks the veggies, makes them taste good and is fairly easy to do. (I'm not just a picky eater, I'm a lousy cook).

Does anyone have a recipe like that?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A second vote for roasted root vegetables. Peel them, cube them, drizzle with olive oil and a little salt.

Don’t pack them too tight on the pan.

For easy clean up line the pan with parchment paper.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you're located, but here in the U.S. Green Giant offers riced vegetable varieties, spiraled vegetables, roasted vegetables, mashed vegetables, and veggie "tots" (similar to Tater Tots). I've riced and mashed my own before, but it's messy and takes time.

https://www.greengiant.com/products/

Roasting is a great way to prepare root vegetables as well as things like peppers - some of the sugars in the vegetables caramelize in the oven, adding sweetness and a rich taste. You can use a prepared herb mix to add flavor - Mrs. Dash has a wide variety, all of them low to zero sodium.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good stir fry. Frozen veggies, a protein, and you can put it with noodles or rice if you want
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm here to add to the roasted veggies vote- my usual is broccoli florets, cauliflower, cubed potatoes (or sweet potato), and onions tossed in some olive oil and laid out on a pan with aluminum foil, seasoned with Tony Chachere's (my favorite, from Louisiana) and garlic powder. Roast at 350 for about 25-27 minutes then broil on high for a minute.

My husband HATED all vegetables, especially broccoli and cauliflower, when we met. He now eats a heaping bowl of these every week when I make them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Is it that you're just not accustomed to including veggies, or that you don't much like them?

For the "not accustomed" case, others have offered great ideas. For the "don't like" case, there are some gradual adoption strategies (try each one several times, different ways, only a little, gradually adopt the nicer ones, etc.) that I won't go into in detail.

Another option for "don't like" is to look for recipes people use to hide vegetables from their kids. It's an easily Google-able thing ("recipes for hiding veggies in food"). Lots of the recipes are high on cheese and such (so not that great for calorie reduction), but a few aren't.

A basic strategy is to throw cooked veggies (frozen/microwaved ones are fine) in a blender, and mix them with something else with a "creamy" or blended texture. For example, winter squash (comes frozen/pureed) can go in mac and cheese or similar pasta/sauce dishes, ditto pureed cauliflower or white beans, etc. They can also go into soups, be mixed in reasonable proportions with things like refried beans if you like those, etc.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You’re going to laugh, but this is an easy one. I got stuck waiting for hours for my son to come home from a meet and waited right through dinner. Went into the grocery store and got a salmon packet and a can of green beans. A fork from the deli and it was delicious. They even had mayo packets for free so I took one of those.

So, a can of green beans? Pretty easy and transportable! Also available anywhere instead of drive thru food.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sorry just saw you wanted recipes! Well then I vote for any vegetable just steamed with a touch of salt and pepper !
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Another vote for roasting! You don't even need much if any oil if calories are a concern. I meal prep a lot of different roasted veggies for a few days at a time and store them and serve them as mixed side veggie combos or mix them into frittatas, use them as a pasta topper, or warm them quick in a pan for a stir fry.
  • mejenny85
    mejenny85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    make a frittata and add any veg you have
  • jackiepreston17
    jackiepreston17 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You could try using zoodles/spiralized vegetables in place of pasta. The texture will be different but using the same sauce or toppings that you would normally use could help you get used to the difference between pasta and veggies.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do is to sauté my veggies in olive oil and seasonings. For my seasonings, I like to use onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, season salt, etc. I do this everyday and it has made me eat so much more veggies than I ever have. My favorites are asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, stir fry veggies, cabbage, and brussel sprouts.
  • iseewholewheat
    iseewholewheat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Use a cheese grater and shred any vegetable (I find zucchini the easiest to hide) and throw the shreds in a pasta sauce-- I don't use the shreds to replace my pasta, but as a way to sneak in veggies. Also roasting is my favorite way to cook most vegetables when eating them purposefully. Good luck!
  • sistrsprkl8097
    sistrsprkl8097 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make lots of Buddha bowls. Sauté or roast any veggies, serve over rice w peanut sauce, sesame seeds, cilantro & lime. Avocado too if u have it
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    sauteed brussel sprouts with salt, pepper, a little drizzle of lemon and oil is my go to! So good! <3
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Pan roast a bunch of whatever you feel like - often roasted veggies taste good enough on their own but you can add BBQ or Buffalo sauce, or I like to mix up whole grain mustard and maple syrup in oil or water for a drizzle as well. Tahini is also a good one to dress with.