Why is 100 pounds goal in 6 months unsafe?

Options
FloridaFatty345
FloridaFatty345 Posts: 32 Member
edited December 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Not sure why my post from yesterday was taken down. I wrote that it’s just a goal - if I get even close, I’ll be happy. I weigh 345 pounds as if two days ago. That’s a lot. Plus, I stated that I’ve lost this much before in about the same time period. I’m eating very healthy and safely and being monitored by my doctor. Sorry if I mistakenly violated a rule but I sincerely was only looking for support, while giving support to everyone who I’ve come across. 😞

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I found your thread. You talked about eating minimal calories while burning lots. Mfp doesn't like to promote unsafe dieting.

Slow and steady wins the race. Change your lifestyle to something you can keep up for the longterm and you'll be successful.

Good luck
  • FloridaFatty345
    Options
    👍
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    because you are talking about a weight loss of 16-20lbs a month - which is a deficit of 2000ish calories a day and unsafe
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Personallly i prefer attainable goals. that way i feel better when i meet them more or less easily or even exceed them. VS setting a random goal that is unsafe and then try to feel good about "getting some progress done". but hey, everyone is different.

but your post was closed because you stated goal and way to get there is unsafe.

the key is realizing dieting is not something you do then finish (not for most of us here anyway). most of us that have done that just...put it all back on again. So we try to learn good habits as we lose because it's not a diet but learning how to eat to maintain as well, a way to eat for the rest of our lives.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Not sure why my post from yesterday was taken down. I wrote that it’s just a goal - if I get even close, I’ll be happy. I weigh 345 pounds as if two days ago. That’s a lot. Plus, I stated that I’ve lost this much before in about the same time period. I’m eating very healthy and safely and being monitored by my doctor. Sorry if I mistakenly violated a rule but I sincerely was only looking for support, while giving support to everyone who I’ve come across. 😞

If you are unsure, then PM the mod team to find out. I'd be willing to bet it's under the promotion of unsafe weight loss.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    here is more information on why loosing too fast (i.e. eating too few calories) is bad.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • FloridaFatty345
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Since I don’t count cals from fruit and veggies, I’m pretty certain my caloric intake is probably around 1600-1800. Guess I should have said that. Anyway, thanks for the support and I hope and cheer everyone else along the road! 👍🙏
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Since I don’t count cals from fruit and veggies, I’m pretty certain my caloric intake is probably around 1600-1800. Guess I should have said that. Anyway, thanks for the support and I hope and cheer everyone else along the road! 👍🙏

Why don't you count the calories from fruits and vegetables? Everything should be counted. MFP makes it easy.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Fruit and veggies have calories. You should be counting them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Fruit and veggies have calories. You should be counting them.

Certainly should. I eat anywhere from 400-800 calories/day in fruit and veggies. I'm sure my weight loss would have gone a lot differently if I hadn't been including those calories in my daily totals. They count just like any other calories you take in.
  • AliNouveau
    Options

Why??? They're food too. Why discriminate
  • FloridaFatty345
    Options
    Ha, the way my brain works. 🤪
  • AliNouveau
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It's kinda like saying I don't smoke....except when I'm drunk

It's all calories in. Just cause it's good for you doesn't mean it's not calories.
  • FloridaFatty345
    Options
    *eye roll*
  • AliNouveau
    edited December 2018
    Options
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    *eye roll*

Wow. Good Luck. :noway:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Why would losing slowly but steadily be more discouraging than running an aggressive deficit, feeling hungry and deprived, losing muscle mass and hair, having brittle nails, getting lethargic, and probably falling off the wagon and putting it all back and then some. Large losses at the beginning are mainly water weight. And while initially, you may be able to drop more than 2lbs per week safely, as you shrink, so will the deficit you can safely maintain.

It doesn't matter how "clean" or how "dirty" you eat. You need to take in enough calories to fuel your body. And when you're bigger? That means more calories than when you're smaller.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I am following a strict diet and if I continue it without falling off the wagon I can lose 167 lbs in a year. Once I lose the weight then I will go do something like weight watchers to maintain or just count calories. When you are big and have so much to lose it can be discouraging to lose a lb or 2 a week. I have lost 10.3 in 13 days. I am not deprived at all and I feel so much better. It is clean eating. Do what is best for you, everyone has their own opinion.

I would hope you are under some kind of medical supervision while doing that. It is certainly true that some people who are very obese decide it's worth risking the dangers of rapid weight loss to avoid the possibly worse dangers of their obesity. But that decision needs to be made in tandem with a doctor, as there are still serious risks.