intermittent fasting 16:8

Options

Replies

• foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am in love with IF. Started a week or so ago. Most days I do 16:8 and others 20:4.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    This is interesting:

https://content.iospress.com/articles/nutrition-and-healthy-aging/nha170036

DESIGN:
    Obese subjects (n = 23) participated in an 8-h time restricted feeding intervention (ad libitum feeding between 10:00 to 18:00 h, water fasting between 18:00 to 10:00 h) for 12 weeks. Weight loss and other outcomes were compared to a matched historical control group (n = 23).

There is an effort to spin it as a success (Varady is a long-time promoter of IF):

"RESULTS:
    Body weight and energy intake decreased in the time restricted group (–2.6% ± 0.5; –341 ± 53 kcal/d) relative to controls over 12 weeks (P < 0.05). Systolic blood pressure decreased in the time restricted feeding group (–7 ± 2 mm Hg) versus controls (P < 0.05). Fat mass, lean mass, visceral fat mass, diastolic blood pressure, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting glucose, fasting insulin, HOMA-IR, and homocysteine were not significantly different from controls after 12 weeks (no group×time interaction).

CONCLUSION:
    These findings suggest that 8-h time restricted feeding produces mild caloric restriction and weight loss, without calorie counting. It may also offer clinical benefits by reducing blood pressure."

However, read the whole thing -- I will present some comments for those who don't feel like it (from here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/19770172 or http://caloriesproper.com/intermittent-fasting-and-goalposts/)

"The intervention was basically 16:8 intermittent fasting with a later eating window. The study had essentially no control group, so they compared their results to a "matched historical control group" which isn't really a thing in science.

Tl;dr: they ate less, moved more, and didn't lose any body fat. They lost 2.6% of their body weight, which appears to be water weight..? But more importantly, they were eating less, exercising more, and experienced no apparent improvements in nearly any measured biometric. No change in fat mass, cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, insulin, etc., etc.

Actually, it's rare for none of these things to improve with even modest weight loss. In other words, it seems more likely that their "late Time-Restricted Feeding" regime may have been harmful, but the modest weight loss offset any actual harmful effects from manifesting...."

It often makes a big difference if one reads and interprets a study in its entirety rather than just gleaning the points which reinforce what they want to believe.

You mean like bolding that one comment above and ignoring all the other "gems" from that same article? Such as:
    I may come across as harsh on Intermittent Fasting (IF) and I'd like to be clear about something. I'm not saying IF will make you gain body fat or die a slow and painful death. I am saying the quality of evidence presented in human studies suggesting it will benefit you somehow is #weaksauce. Further, I don't really like the idea of huge refeeds. Like, how can 2000 kcals in one sitting be remotely healthy?

Metabolic. Mayhem.

You may have noticed many guru's sliding away from "intermittent fasting" and "skipping breakfast" and toward promoting a more circadian-appropriate feeding pattern. That's because it's about when you eat, not the precise duration of the feeding window.

The studies have been done:

Jacobs & Hirsh showed that eating all your food for breakfast is more conducive to weight loss than eating all your food for dinner.

Melatonin sensitizes the system, priming your body for optimal nutrient partitioning in the morning.

Metabolism is gimped at night.

"early Time-Restricted Feeding" (eTRF) works even in the absence of weight loss.

Your metabolism is naturally more ketogenic with an earlier feeding window.

The guy who says that IF evidence in that article is weaksauce also says that eating 2000 kcal is not healthy and meal timing matters for weight loss?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    SVZee wrote: »
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    You’ll get a lot if you read this completely and not the the summary as one naysayer here did when I posted it elsewhere at MFP recently:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/pdf/12967_2016_Article_1044.pdf

Thanks for that.
    Conclusions: Our results suggest that an intermittent fasting program in which all calories are consumed in an 8-h
    window each day, in conjunction with resistance training, could improve some health-related biomarkers, decrease
    fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males.

I actually had some time yesterday and reviewed the JISSN site and found IF articles. The studies I found pretty much said the same thing. The one thing that really caught my eye is the comment about maintaining muscle mass. When comparing IF with CR to just CR, the IF with CR participants seem to maintain their muscle mass better than just CR. Although weight management might be similar enough, managing lean muscle mass better is actually a big bonus if that's something you care about. Improving health-related biomarkers is also pretty critical as well and I do know people personally that have done IF, include me, that have seen the biomarker improvement. I really hope IF research continues, it's pretty interested.

My own little experience with health markers-years ago I lost 50ish pounds with an IF protocol and all my health markers improved, including correcting a health issue. Fast forward through several years of maintenance, while doing various IF protocols during that time, and twice a year blood work panels showed similar results. Then this year happened-went off my maintenance plan, completely stopped IF in any form and gained around 10lbs (I also stopped eating my veggie/fruit heavy woe and went on a 'I don't care, give me all the food' woe :p '. Had blood work done in October and saw my best cholesterol numbers ever.

I'm now back to refocusing on maintenance and to lose the extra pounds (really they're vanity pounds, I like wearing size 4 jeans), and IF because that's what helps me keep my calories in check, but I don't think IF does anything magical for me in terms of health markers.

I agree completely. IF is a great way of eating for many people who find it suits how they prefer to manage their meals and calories. But this illustrates the big hole in the "IF alone (or any other way of eating when not required for a specific condition) improved my health markers" claims when accompanied by weight loss. Weight loss alone improves health markers across a broad range of eating styles, so why the emphasis on eating a specific way or in specific windows for the improvement rather than the common denominator across many ways of achieving better health through weight loss?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    If you read the research study I posted, no health marker improvements were noted. Seems like, I recall, there was actually a testosterone decrease. The major benefit was fat loss while maintaining muscle mass.

I thought this was a good study that became apparent to me in reading the entire document snd not just the few summary paragraphs.

I agree with the circadian comment so we must pick our window and its duration smartly and 100 percent compliance isn’t necessary for success. And CICO deficit must be present.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    You’ll get a lot if you read this completely and not the the summary as one naysayer here did when I posted it elsewhere at MFP recently:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/pdf/12967_2016_Article_1044.pdf

Thanks for that.
    Conclusions: Our results suggest that an intermittent fasting program in which all calories are consumed in an 8-h
    window each day, in conjunction with resistance training, could improve some health-related biomarkers, decrease
    fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males.

I actually had some time yesterday and reviewed the JISSN site and found IF articles. The studies I found pretty much said the same thing. The one thing that really caught my eye is the comment about maintaining muscle mass. When comparing IF with CR to just CR, the IF with CR participants seem to maintain their muscle mass better than just CR. Although weight management might be similar enough, managing lean muscle mass better is actually a big bonus if that's something you care about. Improving health-related biomarkers is also pretty critical as well and I do know people personally that have done IF, include me, that have seen the biomarker improvement. I really hope IF research continues, it's pretty interested.

Are you saying your biomarkers have improved using IF, with no weight loss?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Laugh away then

Okay....?
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    IF is basically skip breakfast right?

Yes. But some reason it's been given a fancy name to make it sound more complicated than it actually is
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    IF5188 wrote: »
    I have found some very interesting and compelling information from a number of sources. You can check out Dietdoctor.com, Dr Jason Fung, Dr Eric Berg, Dr John Bergman, to mention only a few.

this has got to be a troll who started a new account just to post this list of the most non-credible sources out there!!