elliptical vs HRM

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
So I did the elliptical wearing my HRM for the first time yesterday. I wanted to see how accurate(or not) the elliptical is when it counts calories burned. Well let me say that it's way off! I was on there for 35 minutes and I was doing varying intensities the entire time, and it said I burned around 400 cals and my hrm said I only burned 250 or so(I can't remember specifics). Just goes to show that you really can't count on the machines to get an accurate calorie burn count.

Replies

• Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't really trust any of the calorie counts. So long as I get my daily activity I am happy.
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, we have an exercise bike and a treadmill that tell you how many calories you are burning... we however do NOT have an HRM so we just guestimate and use the numbers here on MFP because they are lower than what the treadmill says, and higher than what the bike says.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I saw a show where the machines were tested against HMR's and you are right. They read about 25-30% higher than HMR's. So basically if you subtract about 25-30% from what the elliptical says you burned you'll have a more accurate reading. Too bad since I generally like the number the machine gives over the actual, LOL!
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ARGH!!!

Another MFP member alerted me to this when the scale was NO longer going down...
    At 185 pounds doing 45 minutes of the fat burning workout on my NordicTrack it displays 620 calories...Now I only log in as 400 calories...GRRRRRRR!!!

E
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't really trust any of the calorie counts. So long as I get my daily activity I am happy.

I agree! I'd have to workout way longer and more often if I really wanted to exercise for significant weightloss. I'd rather exercise to *stay moving* and eat less and sensibly to lose weight- but thats just me..... I exercise about 30 mins a day 5 days a week and thats enough for me! :smile:
  • NYLatinaCR
    Options
    I always questioned the machines at the gym too... I got a Polar F6 and had it checked to make sure it was callibrated. My calorie count was definitely 25% less than what the machines were saying. I love my HRM. It gives me something to compete against. I always have a realistic goal. I was disappointed at first when I realized the difference, but I am fine now because I know I am still working hard.
  • ladybugfrenzy
    ladybugfrenzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Again, like many of you I was shocked to see the machines were not accurate! It's not just by a little either. I use my HRM because when I have relied on it instead, I lose more. This is another reason why people should purchase a HRM. I like my Polar one!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    my elliptical is surprisingly pretty accurate.

I use a HRM connected to my iPod using the Digifit app (which in turn calculates number of calories burned). the calories on the iPod and elliptical are close and they use different variables to calculate my calories burned.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Age, Gender, Weight, Average BPM, Duration. They all impact your calories burned. Other factors do as well, but are not as easy to measure for most people.

Most cardio machines don't include all of the above. The good HRMs do. Even so, it's still just an estimate.

Main thing, IMO, is consistency. If you count calories eaten and calories burned the same way each time, then you can adjust your daily net calorie goals till you are achieving what you want.
  • squeak1989
    Options
    After reading this I decided to take my HRM to the gym with me and found the the machines had been underestimating my calories too. HRM said around 400cals where as the machines claimed just over 600. I'd never had a reason to question them before as I assumed them to be accurate.
  • strauernicht
    Options
    I find the same thing with the calorie estimates from this website. I mainly ride on the road with a bicycle. For a 30 minute ride at 17 to 18 mph average, I burn a tad over 300 calories. The tool on this website shows I burn somewhere around 475 calories.

As a previous poster commented; age, gender, weight, etc... factor into the equation. However, I think your fitness level (i.e. VO2 max) plays a large role in how many calories you must burn compared to an average person. For example, I'm 5'10", 175 lbs and have been biking for several years off and on. Take me and someone that has similar stats, but has never biked before, chances are they will have to expend more energy to do the same workout I do. Conversely, if you would compare me to someone who races bikes, my calorie count would be a good bit higher for the same ride.