gain muscle and weight but not fat

hi im new to this fitness stuff and im what you call skinny fat, im 18 years old i my height is 5'9 and my weight is 148 lbs but i have a fat belly and small arms what advice would you give me and thanks in advance

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    To change your goal considering you’re trying to do 2 things at once....build muscle and lose fat..they require different methods. What’s your lifting experience like? How is your diet dialed into what goal you want to achieve/ decide on?
  • PlasticGains
    PlasticGains Posts: 76 Member
    Lift and eat around maintenance. It's called body recomp
  • Med0Hs
    Med0Hs Posts: 2 Member
    I'm just starting (my 2nd month) as for diet im cutting on calories but increasing my protein intake
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Med0Hs wrote: »
    I'm just starting (my 2nd month) as for diet im cutting on calories but increasing my protein intake

And what do you expect that to do?? You’re still in a deficit. Yeah protein increase will help retain muscle, but you’re still in a catabolic state eating at a deficit....
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    It seems to me that you have 2 options. You can focus on building muscle and minimizing fat gains or you can work to get rid of body fat by cutting calories and once you get your body fat down to a level your comfortable with you can work to bulk up. If it were me I would start with a muscle building program that emphasizes the 3 big lifts with adequate accessory work and some cardio each day. Also create a meal plan that minimizes fat gains. I’d give it 8-12 weeks to start.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Lift and eat around maintenance. It's called body recomp

Great. So you have the “build muscle” part covered. What about the “gain weight” part? A lot of folks - many of them skinny men, want to be significantly bigger. Recomp is a terrible idea if that is the goal.
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Lift for a year with some high protien in your diet and you'll be fine. Thems the newbie gains phase. After that, when the muscle becomes much harder to put on/fat harder to loose, then get into all the technical diet stuff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    When you gain muscle, you're going to gain fat too. That's just how it works. Bodybuilders go through the same phase. So just bulk up now and cut later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png