Time to get healthy again!

Options
I have let myself get 60 pounds overweight over the past 6 or 7 years. I used to be in terrific shape and what is even more pathetic I still work in the fitness industry. I know more about weight loss, exercise, dieting, etc than I know what to do with and I can't seem to follow my own advice. I am a recent father of a beautiful little girl and I have reached the point where it isn't about just me anymore. Frankly, she deserves a better role model! Ready to rock and roll...Good luck to everyone on this site and if anyone has any questions about fitness equipment or needs references of great books to read on diet and exercise, please feel free to contact me. I am a territroy sales manager of a large specialty fitness equipment chain, so I have a gym in my house (which makes me feel even more pathetic)........

Action is Power!

Replies

• leshik21
    leshik21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have let myself get 60 pounds overweight over the past 6 or 7 years. I used to be in terrific shape and what is even more pathetic I still work in the fitness industry. I know more about weight loss, exercise, dieting, etc than I know what to do with and I can't seem to follow my own advice. I am a recent father of a beautiful little girl and I have reached the point where it isn't about just me anymore. Frankly, she deserves a better role model! Ready to rock and roll...Good luck to everyone on this site and if anyone has any questions about fitness equipment or needs references of great books to read on diet and exercise, please feel free to contact me. I am a territroy sales manager of a large specialty fitness equipment chain, so I have a gym in my house (which makes me feel even more pathetic)........

Action is Power!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • leshik21
    Options
    Thank You!
  • liigaa
    liigaa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goal! but do not rely on luck :)
  • UpDownMostly
    Options
    Oh I soooo know that feeling. Two years ago I was swimming every week, 3 times a week, hard for 30 to 45 mins. I was 75 lbs lighter and much healthier. Well, today, well ... sigh. So I'm determined to try and at least lose some weight and get myself back in the pool.
    Tim
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Oh I soooo know that feeling. Two years ago I was swimming every week, 3 times a week, hard for 30 to 45 mins. I was 75 lbs lighter and much healthier. Well, today, well ... sigh. So I'm determined to try and at least lose some weight and get myself back in the pool.
    Tim

Heard swimming was the best cardio workout ever? iS THAT TRUE?
  • leshik21
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best cardio workouts, yes! Here is the deal with cardio workouts. Some people measure their effectiveness in terms of calories burned per minute, some measure by exertion or heart rate levels. Swimming is great for the following reasons;
    1. Non Weight Bearing (reduces risk of injury)
    2. Multiple muscles groups being used (increases cal burn per minute)
    3. Perceived exertion is low (bc the water has some therapeutic effects, it feels a lot easier on the joints and muscles to do an hour in the pool versus an hour of running of the pavement).

Great exercise, I would recommend it to anyone.