Help! I need cardio ideas...without the use of my knees!?!

Options
MFP friends I am desparately looking for Cardio ideas and options to get back on track with my exercise regime. I was just recently restricted from any activity that involves repetative knee bending (elliptical and recumbant inlcuded)...even after having 2 knee replacements. Long story short it is a mechanical thing and unfortunately at this time 'tune-up' isn't an option.

So by any chance do you have some fun, off the wall, cardio activity that you would like to share??? I would soooo appreciate it! (I realize knees are probably involved with most activities but I'm not giving up there has to be something enjoyable and FUN to do while getting a good cardio workout in).

Right now swimming is my best option but not my first choice thus the reason I am asking for other alternatives. Also, I think I was spoiled being able to crank out 50-75 pages of my current read while doing the elliptical/recumbant! I understand that will probably end : (

I do have unusual circumstances to work around but I'm not going to accept failure with these additional restrictions! I refuse to! (My MFP vent when I received the news....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/InfiniteEcho)

Ok, IDEAS SO FAR:
Swimming
Speed bagging
Boxing
canoeing (a bit difficult with my location)
kayaking (Love it!!! And I have a kayak back in my homestate, but now a bit difficult where I live now)
handcycling
hula hooping (I have a core hoop already...yay!)
Circuit Training

....and lastly my son suggested 'Crutching on the Treadmill' Lol! I mentioned crutching is a great workout so he took it one step further. Silly boy!

Replies

• rfcollins33
    Options
    spin, AMT machine, elliptical, shadow boxing (basically kickboxing stuff using only upper body). I have hardly any cartilage in my right knee right knee and my left isn't far behind, so I've been having to adjust my workouts as well. Good luck. Spinning really is easy on the knees.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How about water aerobics? I started it for my back and there Re a lot of folks in class with knee, hip, and back problems that do just fine.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You may look into CW-X pants. My boyfriend has TERRIBLE knees. He puts them on and says he can feel the support immediately. He even wears them on particularly bad days under his slacks to work. They are expensive but, they've opened up a world of fitness he was cut off from.

http://cw-x.com/default.aspx
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    push-ups always get my heart-rate going. weighted shadow boxing should be a good alternative, as well as SWIMMING!(just thought of that mid-sentence, LOL)
  • njoithomp
    Options
    Of course swimming is the obvious but I realized that you already know that so, what about boxing - like regular old fashioned boxing. I do it all the time and its a really good cardio workout and your knee, besides standing, won't really be used. Its even better if you can put on boxing gloves and hit the bag. Also, some gyms have an "arm cycle" like a bicycle but just for your arms while you sit in its seat. It get you going as far as cardio goes. Finally, if you can bend your knee, try yoga. I get a good sweat going if do it for a good duration of time. Good luck and I hope your knee heals soon!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    crank-cycle? you use your arms to turn the pedals.
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I saw you already had this on your list, but swimming really is great cardio with little to no impact on the joints. I've been a lifeguard for 7 years both at my local public pool and at my college, and I couldn't tell you how many people I've seen come swim a few times a week because its great exercise and it doesn't bother their knees. Both my parents have also had knee surgery and they swim regularly. See if your local YWCA, YMCA or local gym have pool memberships, then get the times. They will probably have hours designated for lap swimming and some for rec swim, where you can bring your kids and have fun, not just swim laps. Also, you could check out master swimmer programs in your area. US master swimmers is a nationwide organization for adults that welcomes any age (over 18) and swimming ability. Each program in each place is slightly different, some have coaches, some are large groups, some are small etc. but its a great program to meet new people!! I would guard for the maters group that used my schools pool, and they had everyone from people training for triathlons to people who just wanted to get a half hour in a couple of days, and everyone was super friendly and nice to each other.

Best of luck, hope that helps alittle!
  • sylvansuede
    Options
    water jogging, if there is a leasuire currant at your pool usually they are only about 3.5 feet deep, i see people walking with books. also water aerobics, start with something like a hinges based low impact shallow. I am doing both durning my very restricted movement pregnancy, and see several people who have to be lowered into the water because they either dont have all there legs or have resently had knee surgury. plus the caleries burned is higher then on land, just saying :).
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm liking water jogging....my gym where I have my membership has a leisure current! That sounds like fun too! Thank you!
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas guys! I'm going to have to explore a bunch of these. Unfortunately, I am unable to do the ones where I bend my knee. My knee mechanics are such when I bend my knee my kneecap is hitting my prothetic each time I bend creating pain...even walking extended periods is painful.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks or jumping rope, perhaps? In short bursts (they burn a lot of calories quickly anyway).