Potassium intake

Options
According to MFP I should have 3500 mg of potassium daily. I never get close. Any ideas on potassium rich foods?

Replies

• Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every morning to start toward this goal. Potassium-rich foods include many fruits, green vegetables, potatoes, and some types of fish, to name a few.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    3500 is actually the old recommended potassium level intake. The USDA actually now recommends 4700mg of potassium a day. Not getting close to that? Don't feel bad, you are not alone. Only about 2% of all Americans get the recommended amounts.

While bananas are commonly thought of when one thinks of where to get their potassium from, there are plenty of other foods you can get your potassium from, many that are actually higher in potassium. Potatoes, avocados, salmon, and beans are a few of the best foods out there for potassium. You can look at this list for more options: https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

You may be getting more potassium than you think though, as potassium was not required to be included on nutritional labels until this year. That means that a lot of foods in the database may not have their potassium content updated, as previous nutritional labels may not have contained the info.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The database is mostly user entered and many users don't pay attention to micronutrients here. Unless you are double checking the micros in the database entries you're using to the package or the published USDA data, you may very well be getting plenty.