Vegetarians-Advice needed please

Options
I have recently stopped eating meat and was wondering what supplements if any I should be taking?
Thanks

Replies

• laureneva15
    Options
    Bump. I'm thinking of eating less meat, not becoming vegetarian but just cutting down on meat. So I'm interested in what others say.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Probably any vitamins with added iron in it, because you lose a lot of iron when you stop eating meat.

Congrats on becoming a vegetarian though! :D
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think its calcium, iron, and vitamin B. You can get iron from leafy vegetables too. Ive been a vegetarian for 11 years. Its hard to get used to, because there is Gelatin in alot of things (boiled cow bones) but eventually its easier. Congrats!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I didn't stop completely with meat but reduced my intake to about twice or 3 times a week max.
    What I take is usually Cod Liver Oil, Glucosamine, Multi Vitamins and Soya Protein Shakes. The most impostant thing for me is to monitor my protein intake. It is still a bit low for what I would like but its getting better and better.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do your research. This is your health here.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I personally feel that taking regular supplements is a poor substitute for eating a healthy, varied, balanced diet :) I've not eaten meat in over 20 years, and have never taken a supplement in my life x
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie - I try to eat well but take B vitamins (B6 and B12 are the ones that can be lacking in a veggie diet) and iron just to be on the safe side- check the label, though - not all vitamin substitutes are veggie!
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    Take a multi vitamin and don't go crazy on the carbs-that's the biggest mistake most new veggies make. I do try to eat greek yogurt (which has more protein than regular yogurt) and a handful of almonds almost everyday-I'm assuming you're not Vegan. I never have an issue getting enough protein. There are some yummy meat alternatives (veggie burgers, dogs, etc) out there but, eat them sparingly because they (like all processed foods) generally are higher in sodium. Stock up on your favorite fruits and veggies and congratulations on your choice!
  • GiuliaShakespeare
    Options
    I don't take supplements, either. I'm still learning, I guess, but I find that eating a balanced diet and being careful is all I need to keep feeling great! I've been a vegetarian for a year (before then I was off for 3 months, and then on for another year). My biggest challenge has been living in an household that doesn't really support the choice (and don't know how to, if they did). I suggest doing some reading. There are great books out there about vegetarianism.

My FAVORITE recipe book, of all time, is called Fat-Free Vegetarian: Over 180 delicious easy-to-make low-fat and no-fat recipes for healthy meat-free meals. Check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Free-Vegetarian-Delicious-Easy-Make/dp/1572155310

It encouraged me to get to know all sorts of awesome vegetables I hadn't really known before. It has tons of pictures to help you along with the cooking (want to know what it looks like?) and everything I've made has been delicious (to me and the non-vegetarians in my household). It's just perfect.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi! Born and raised strict vegetarian here, and you should NEVER take an iron vitamin unless expressly told to by a doctor.

The only thing you may lack is B12 if you're eating a well balanced diet.

I have never taken a supplement a day in my life, and my vitamin levels are always in the fabulous range.