Which days do I eat more?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to embark on a clean bulk and am aware that on a training day I need to eat excess calories and carbs to give me energy for my workouts, and on the next few days I need to eat lots of protein and carbs to build muscle.
My query is this,

My training days are weds through to Saturday due to family commitments, so on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I won't be in the gym, so do...

1) I still eat excess calories on Mondays and Tuesdays as I'm trying to put on muscle weight after all

2) Or is it the case my body has recovered from my last workout on Friday therefore eating extra carbs will just be turned into fat l, but I should maintain high protein intake to maintain muscle.

3) any other ideas

Hope that makes sense.

Replies

• ssanj10
    ssanj10 Posts: 30 Member
    Bump
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    You’re making it way more difficult than it needs to be. Eat the same calories/ macros daily....your weekly intake is going to be more of an impact than daily. Macro cycling is kinda pointless tbh unless you’re in contest prep and in peak week or if you just prefer it. But in terms of progress, it’s pointless. You’re post kind of doesn’t make much sense/ isn’t optimal. Just curious on where you got your info and you’re reasoning for it? Also what’s your training program you’re running in the gym?
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    You’re making it way more difficult than it needs to be. Eat the same calories/ macros daily....your weekly intake is going to be more of an impact than daily. Macro cycling is kinda pointless tbh unless you’re in contest prep and in peak week or if you just prefer it. But in terms of progress, it’s pointless. You’re post kind of doesn’t make much sense/ isn’t optimal. Just curious on where you got your info and you’re reasoning for it? Also what’s your training program you’re running in the gym?

I agree. I am not sure you need to cycle between higher carb and higher protein. The goal should be to the same calories/macros each day and measure the impact week by week. If you aren’t gaining I’d recommend increase calories 200 and reevaluate. Are you following a program geared toward muscle building?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    ssanj10 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to embark on a clean bulk and am aware that on a training day I need to eat excess calories and carbs to give me energy for my workouts, and on the next few days I need to eat lots of protein and carbs to build muscle.
    My query is this,

My training days are weds through to Saturday due to family commitments, so on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I won't be in the gym, so do...

1) I still eat excess calories on Mondays and Tuesdays as I'm trying to put on muscle weight after all

2) Or is it the case my body has recovered from my last workout on Friday therefore eating extra carbs will just be turned into fat l, but I should maintain high protein intake to maintain muscle.

3) any other ideas

Hope that makes sense.

The only thing I would recommend is eating more calories on the days you work out as opposed to your rest days? Also I don't know about how others feel, but "clean bulk" is nonexistent. If anyone bulks they should do it in the most healthy way possible. There is slow bulking where you're surplus is slightly above the maintenance calories and that will yield very slow results, but some people prefer that method
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    When I am bulking I keep my surplus and macros consistent day to day. It prevents the whole "do I need more calories on workout days to boost performance or rest days when muscles are growing" issue.

Also extra carbs do not turn automatically into fat. While a surplus of calories will lead to some fat gain over time, what will keep fat gain at bay (in your control) is the right amount of surplus and adequate progressive training stimuli.
  • ssanj10
    Thanks guys.

I train in the gym usually weds, and Saturday.
    I have been in the gym on and off for a few years but only made limited progress in bulking. I've tried doing full body sessions twice per week in the past, so that would be single arm row, db chest press and squats in each session and also I've tried splitting it with back on one day, which would be deadlift, military press and Latpulldowns, then the second session of the week do chest and shoulders so db chest, incline db, Pecdec followed by front side, and bentover raises (my shoulders are particularly small hence target them more)
    I've struggled with increasing the weight I'm lifting though, I'm beginning to realise it's because my preworkout meals to fuel my workout haven't been adequate or I'm haven't been mentally prepared enough.

I'm a 42 year old male, 5' 10" weigh 80kg, my natural body shape is skinny, but do have a 40" belly due to years of bad diet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    If you have a 40" waist, I would advice you cut down your body fat first before proceeding to bulk.

Not only are you at higher risk for disease and poor health, but your muscle gain will be very minimal at best.

There ia very strong evidence that a waist over 33" for a female or 37" for a male is a red flag for health risks.

I would strongly suggest to drop weight first through a deficit. In the mean time you can gain strength with appropriate volume, intensity, and recovery. This can be done with a well written program for your level of training.
  • ssanj10
    Thanks chieflrg I am aware of that but the thing is when I've cut in the past I've lost weight everywhere and because I'm skinny fat I end up looking skinny with still a belly sticking out.
    I was hoping to build some muscle and then cut so at least I look better for it.
  • pinggolfer96
    Thanks guys.

I train in the gym usually weds, and Saturday.
    I have been in the gym on and off for a few years but only made limited progress in bulking. I've tried doing full body sessions twice per week in the past, so that would be single arm row, db chest press and squats in each session and also I've tried splitting it with back on one day, which would be deadlift, military press and Latpulldowns, then the second session of the week do chest and shoulders so db chest, incline db, Pecdec followed by front side, and bentover raises (my shoulders are particularly small hence target them more)
    I've struggled with increasing the weight I'm lifting though, I'm beginning to realise it's because my preworkout meals to fuel my workout haven't been adequate or I'm haven't been mentally prepared enough.

I'm a 42 year old male, 5' 10" weigh 80kg, my natural body shape is skinny, but do have a 40" belly due to years of bad diet.

Probably because your program and only twice a week training is highly lacking in terms of what’s most optimal. What you stated isnt anywhere close to an effective program to putting on muscle/ strength. Get on a credible and proven program that works, rather than what you stated. Not that it doesn’t necessarily work....it’s just very inadequate compared to other programs
  • Chieflrg
    edited December 2018
    Thanks chieflrg I am aware of that but the thing is when I've cut in the past I've lost weight everywhere and because I'm skinny fat I end up looking skinny with still a belly sticking out.
    I was hoping to build some muscle and then cut so at least I look better for it.
    I understand, but your weight to body fat ratio is very high right now. You trying bulk at a high body fat percentage is really putting the cart in front of the horse.

Obviously you can do what you want, just saying you could get better results by dropping the fat and then running a bulk with an appropriate program.

Your situation is not typical for a bulk nor would I suggest for your to follow what others do that have much lower body fat.

You can be very successful if you follow advice given with your stats in mind, not others.

Good luck.

• ssanj10
    What kind of programme would you suggest, bearing in mind I'll probably only manage 2 sessions per week, sometimes 3?
  • Chieflrg
    I'm not a fan of LPs programs, but Greyskull is pretty well written and useful.

I would personally run "The Bridge" from Barbellmedicine because it's written to prepare you long term which uses autoregulation.

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    If you can only train 2 days a week then it would have to be any full body program all compound lifts. 3 times a week would be much easier to program around. That one extra day is huge
  • pinggolfer96
    What’s hindering you from 3 workouts...?
  • ssanj10
    I think I'll need to up my ante and push that third session, how does this sound

Weds, back

Dead lifts, lat pulldowns , military press, cable rows,

Thursday chest and shoulders

Db chest press, incline press, flyes, Pecdec, lateral raises then alternate weekly front or bent over raises.

Friday legs,

Squats, stiff legged Deadlifts, leg press, leg raises, calf press

Try to do 10 reps x 3 sets for each exercise which usually drops to 6 reps or so cos of fatigue so around 12 sets for main body parts per week

How does that sound?
  • Chieflrg
    Not ideal to workout three days in a row for the week, but I would suggest something of the following with a careful eye on fatigue, load management, and recovery.

Weds~ Squat, Deadlift variatiom, row or lat pd
    Thurs ~ Bench, light Squat variation , Mil Press
    Fri ~ Squat variation, Bench variation, Deadlift