Struggling with calories

Options
2»

Replies

• jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heaps of good advice here but I just wanted to add that maybe you need to think about your thought processes around food and lifestyle in general. Always hard to know based on internet posts but the language you use sounds like you have gone from one extreme to the other and are working on developing some kind of disordered relationship with food.

All the misinformation on the internet and amongst gym goers (and society in general) does not help with this. The eggs are a classic example, the research was in 20 years ago that eggs are not a problem for cholesterol and up-to-date medical professionals have long since stopped telling people not to eat them but the broader public still believe it to be so. (I worked in a critical care cardiac unit for a long time).

Perhaps it might be worth going to see a registered dietitian who could address your questions in an informed way and provide you with some dietary advice suited to your fitness and lifestyle goals.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist still recommends not overconsuming eggs. He wants me to limit to one a day. He's familiar with the new studies, but I guess is being cautious. I have heart disease, so I guess I'll just play it safe and stick with what he says. Love eggs, though!
  • Tklion
    Tklion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Took the advice here and made some changes. My meals are exactly as logged today. May not be perfect but I hit my macros and feel good, I think with some help I’ll be on the right path.

zqx2otarmg8w.jpeg
    8brl9h5b3ii5.jpeg
    gbwfgebfyoiq.jpeg
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Tklion wrote: »
    Took the advice here and made some changes. My meals are exactly as logged today. May not be perfect but I hit my macros and feel good, I think with some help I’ll be on the right path.

zqx2otarmg8w.jpeg
    8brl9h5b3ii5.jpeg
    gbwfgebfyoiq.jpeg

Not exactly necessary....but are you allowed to eat any vegetables that aren’t just low nutrition leafy greens...?
  • Tklion
    Tklion Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Not exactly necessary....but are you allowed to eat any vegetables that aren’t just low nutrition leafy greens...?[/quote]

No this was just today, usually I eat plenty of veggies but mostly asparagus and broccoli to be honest.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    patrickaa5 wrote: »
    My cardiologist still recommends not overconsuming eggs. He wants me to limit to one a day. He's familiar with the new studies, but I guess is being cautious. I have heart disease, so I guess I'll just play it safe and stick with what he says. Love eggs, though!

Your cardiologist's recommendations for you are not intended for a different person (the OP) with a different medical history, who, most likely, is not a patient of your cardiologist.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

zqx2otarmg8w.jpeg
    8brl9h5b3ii5.jpeg
    gbwfgebfyoiq.jpeg

This is a very substantial improvement: Yay! Keep working on tweaks to best meet your goals: Sound nutrition, "just right" calorie level (not too low, not too high). Nice progress: Granny likes! :)

• patrickaa5
    Options

Your cardiologist's recommendations for you are not intended for a different person (the OP) with a different medical history, who, most likely, is not a patient of your cardiologist.

Hmm, I don't recall mentioning the OP post in my reply. I agree that what my cardiologist says to me doesn't have anything to do with the OP. The OP and everyone else on this thread should feel free to eat all the eggs they want. Just trying to give a slightly different view point. Tough crowd.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Try adding nuts. They are a better type of fat and definately add up the calories fast. Wish I had your problem, lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Hmm, I don't recall mentioning the OP post in my reply. I agree that what my cardiologist says to me doesn't have anything to do with the OP. The OP and everyone else on this thread should feel free to eat all the eggs they want. Just trying to give a slightly different view point. Tough crowd.

Yes, it is a tough crowd here. You'll learn to disclaim and clarify ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Swap out the egg whites for whole eggs and put some butter or olive oil on those veggies. Doesn't sound like you're getting an adequate amount of fat.

Thanks, I did consider whole eggs but was concerned about too much cholesterol.

Based off your comments, you are highly misinformed/ uneducated regarding nutrition. There’s nothing unhealthy or healthy about food. Food labeling is a myth. You also want to gain weight, yet you’re eating lean proteins and you’re scared of cholesterol...?? Please tell me your valid reasoning for this? I’d go read up on some articles or general nutrition, maybe go to iifym.com and get some info there, I say all this in the nicest of ways just cause I can sense your lack on knowledge/ info in nutrition and how you’re derailing yourself from your primary goal...
    Do your due diligence and read up. I’m here to help people but not gonna give someone an encyclopedia of info when they don’t understand the general idea of nutrition

I can appreciate your input and thank you and everyone for their help. I do have a lack of knowledge which is why I’m here asking. I plan on getting with one of my trainer friends this week as well for some guidance. Since the beginning of this year I’ve lost 60lbs and am now getting to the point where I’m not trying to diet but rather eat what’s needed in order to see better gains and continue to loose fat. I’m coming off a very unhealthy lifestyle of bad eating habits, smoking, high blood pressure etc.. so I believe my concerns about cholesterol and whatnot are valid. I am going to do plenty more research but wanted to post here to gain a little knowledge which I did.

I wouldn't ask a PT for nutritional advice unless I was very very clear on their qualifications and credentials. (Most trainers are NOT qualified to give nutritional advice and in some places they are expressly forbidden to do so.)

What about asking your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I disagree....I think he’s being biased/ inaccurate. Dietary cholesterol doesn’t affect body cholesterol levels. Most people with high cholesterol have it because of obesity related illness, not the the cholesterol itself. You can lose weight eating at a deficit with eggs all day and you can lower your cholesterol...
    Doctors don’t know jack about nutrition

Or his cardiologist is making recommendations for their individual patient who has heart disease using research that most people outside of academic and/or medical institutions don't have access to (because journal subscriptions are really expensive).

A single patient who this doctor has quite a lot of information about (more so than the rest of us here) vs the rest of the world's adult population.
  • patrickaa5
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I disagree....I think he’s being biased/ inaccurate. Dietary cholesterol doesn’t affect body cholesterol levels. Most people with high cholesterol have it because of obesity related illness, not the the cholesterol itself. You can lose weight eating at a deficit with eggs all day and you can lower your cholesterol...
    Doctors don’t know jack about nutrition

Or his cardiologist is making recommendations for their individual patient who has heart disease using research that most people outside of academic and/or medical institutions don't have access to (because journal subscriptions are really expensive).

A single patient who this doctor has quite a lot of information about (more so than the rest of us here) vs the rest of the world's adult population.

Right. I tend to get a lot of advice telling me my doctors don't know anything and are in bed with Big Pharma, etc and to not listen to them. Usually, this advice is from someone on the internet that read the latest book (filled with studies!) and believe every word of it. I've read a lot of studies myself about my heart disease and what causes it and what will cure it, blah, blah, blah. I still don't know who is right or wrong, so I tend to do what my doctors suggest.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Simple things like cooking with butter or oil, or grabbing a tablespoon of peanut butter here and there, will help with th extra calories.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a session or two with a good nutritionist or registered dietitian would help you a lot.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like you’re on the right track, just need some more guidance and coaching specific to your measurements, goals, and needs.

It sounds like you may be going too far on the side of under-eating. A professional would be best able to help you find the right balance.