What should I have used for this?

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
So I tried to make my own peach yogurt today with .5 cup of unflavored greek yogurt and 4 cups of frozen peaches. That was the recipe. The problem is my blender couldn't handle it. Not enough liquid maybe? What kind of blender should I be using? Or is there some other trick I'm missing?

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Wow, yeah, that's way too much solid peach for the small amount of yogurt. If you let the peaches thaw a bit, or entirely, it should blend. Was that really the amounts they told you? That would be mostly peaches with a tiny bit of yogurt.
  • mtdb8
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Wow, yeah, that's way too much solid peach for the small amount of yogurt. If you let the peaches thaw a bit, or entirely, it should blend. Was that really the amounts they told you? That would be mostly peaches with a tiny bit of yogurt.

You're right, but I'm still new at this. What should the proportions be with frozen peaches?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Was the recipe for peach yogurt of peach frozen yogurt? A Vitamix could probably handle that but the consistency would not be that of yogurt because of the frozen peaches. That'd be an impossibly thick smoothie/sorbet texture. Both because of them being frozen and the sheer quantity. Also that ratio is more like peaches with a little bit of yogurt as opposed to yogurt with peaches - it's an 8:1 ratio.

You would very likely have better luck with a food processor than a blender but you might still have some issues with the frozen peaches. You could also cut said frozen peach pieces in half which would make it easier on the blender/food processor.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    Kathryn247 wrote: »

You're right, but I'm still new at this. What should the proportions be with frozen peaches?

Closer to half and half of yogurt and peaches, or more yogurt than peach. You probably don't have to blend it at all. If you're just trying to make peach-tasting yogurt, chop up a peach and add it to your yogurt.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I tried to make my own peach yogurt today with .5 cup of unflavored greek yogurt and 4 cups of frozen peaches. That was the recipe. The problem is my blender couldn't handle it. Not enough liquid maybe? What kind of blender should I be using? Or is there some other trick I'm missing?

Less peaches to yogurt. I'd say half as much peach as the yogurt. So if you use only 1/2 c yogurt maybe just a couple of frozen peach slices.
    Let the peaches thaw and it will be easier to blend.
    A food processor might work better than a blender.
  • mtdb8
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Was the recipe for peach yogurt of peach frozen yogurt? A Vitamix could probably handle that but the consistency would not be that of yogurt because of the frozen peaches. That'd be an impossibly thick smoothie/sorbet texture. Both because of them being frozen and the sheer quantity. Also that ratio is more like peaches with a little bit of yogurt as opposed to yogurt with peaches - it's an 8:1 ratio.

You would very likely have better luck with a food processor than a blender but you might still have some issues with the frozen peaches. You could also cut said frozen peach pieces in half which would make it easier on the blender/food processor.

Yes, it was for frozen yogurt. I think regular yogurts have a disgusting texture
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Yes, it was for frozen yogurt. I think regular yogurts have a disgusting texture

Oh ok, in that case the proportions aren't particularly shocking. That makes much more sense now! Do use a food processor though (unless you just so happen to have a heavy duty blender, like a Vitamix). The other logical option would be to use unfrozen peaches, blend those with the yogurt, and dump it all in an ice cream maker - that assumes you have an ice cream maker though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    But don't call it yogurt or think you're getting very much benefit from the yogurt, because you're not. Do you intend to eat this in one sitting? If it's spread out to several servings, then you're getting only a couple tablespoons of yogurt per serving.