First Full Marathon...should I??

Options
katapple
katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
First off, let me start by saying I always thought you marathoners were crazy...who wants to run for that long? 13.1 was plenty long for me! As I get nearer to my second half marathon (4 weeks from today) the more and more I'm contemplating just going for the full in Nov instead of the half I was already planning. I mean heck, I'm already half way there with training, right?

I've been feeling quite amazing at the end of my long runs, I can get on with my day feeling like a million bucks. Question is, do I have enough time to train for a full? I'm not going for time, I just want to finish. I will add 1 mile to my long run each week leading up to the event, which will bring me to 20....so tell me, am I crazy?

Replies

• slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    YES !!! Go for the gold.... 26.2 :-)
  • Kwesi82
    Kwesi82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why Not? Go for it.
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    You are NOT crazy! You should go for it. You are doing the halfs so why not just go for the full. Running a marathon is on my bucket list and I cant wait to be cleared by the DR and start training again. Good luck!!!
  • katapple
    Options
    YES !!!

Yes I am crazy? Or yes go for it? :wink:

Is that enough time to train?
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    What I've found is that if I keep asking about it and talking about it and thinking about it - I'll NEVER do it! Just sign up for it and do your best! I am doing a sprint tri tomorrow and a half marathon in Sept. The only race I've done prior is a 5K that I had to walk b/c of back pain. But if I didn't just go ahead and sign up for these races - I would never do them...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have heard if you can do 20 you can do 26.2, but I am by no means an expert. I'm sure someone will have better advice than that. I do want to say, that I'm doing my first full in Nov. And my first half in October. If you are already running halfs I thinks it's completely reasonable to shoot for the full. My coach thinks that I can do it and I've never done a half before, you are already ahead of me! I say go for it!
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's one of the most awesome things you'll ever experience! Go for it! I'm not sure where you're from but I highly recommend the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon. It's got a ton of crowd support (yeah, I thought I didn't need it either! ;) But I was sure happy to have that little burst of cheering sometimes!) and the course is relatively flat. It's a great one for a first marathon. I also ran the Kentucky Derby Marathon. It was harder...it felt like you never get to run flat...it's either uphill or downhill! lol Anyways, just listen to your body and go for it! You won't regret it! But don't forget to pamper yourself! Love your body a little more while training...you're asking A LOT from it. ;) Good luck!
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    And you have plenty of time to train for November. I did a 4 month training plan and when I started was only doing 4 miles at a time!
  • katapple
    Options
    Aggie ~ Thanks for your input and good luck on your Tri tomorrow!!

Karin ~ Well, if you think you can do it, then I can! Now we can follow each others training and you can keep me motivated :)

Biddy ~ I'm in Dayton until March, I had wanted to do the Flying Pig this year (half) but something came up and I was unable to make it. If we get to stay (husband is Air Force) I just might do it next year!

Thanks for your comments! I'm excited, everyone is telling me to do it, so I probably will. I am going to wait and see how I feel after the half though. I never thought that I'd actually WANT to do this :)