Hey there! I'm skinny fat and I need a piece of advice

Options
Hey there! My name is Julia and I come here for the advice
So here is my story:
I was 49 kg 163 sm and 18 y.o. when I looked at the mirror and thought "girl, you are too fat, you need to do something with it" I don't think I was big at that time but there were some extra fat to burn obviously
But instead of thinking that I need to go to the gym I thought that dieting is the best idea for me
So I did it. But there were a great mistake of me: I ate chocolate, ice-creames and another junk food instead of healthy products calculating my calories that was less than 1000. Firstly there were no changes but than I started to notice my jeans fall off from me and my scales showed me 46 kg meanwhile my figure was the same: I felt like *kitten*.
So I thought I need to try more and to drop more. And I did it. I was 44 kg and there were no clothes to fit me in the shop however there were still a lot of fat so I was really upset and cried all days long until I came to my mom (we were far away from each other for that year). She was really shocked by my new look. We decided that I need to gain weight so I went to Grandma for a month :) . However, I don't know how but after that I weighted only 41 kg I was definitely scared and after that I finally gained weight.
Now I'm 44 kg. It's really low but I also know that my body mostly consists of fat and no muscle. I really do not want to look like that. I want to feel fit and strong and finally beautiful. So I think it's time for me to go to the gym. However I have several questions about strategy now as I'm new at this community and really don't know to bulk or cut first as I have extra fat or what kind of exercises should I do. I'm at a loss. Also I really don't want to care about my food intake a lot as it reminds me about the period of restrictions I had I have never want to repeat.
The only thing I know for sure: I'm tired of being in this condition and I don't want to stay like that anymore.
Thanks for reading! If you have some tips to help you will be my hero!

Replies

• Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    So the first thing you're going to need to know about muscle building is proper nutrition is needed and you're going to be needing to eat enough. There is 9 essential amino acids that we need to supply our body with, these are the amino acids that our body can't create. If we workout and don't supply our body with enough essential amino acids, our body will breakdown our muscles to get the amino acids it needs to repair itself. However, the body only uses 70% of the amino acids it gets from breaking down muscle so should we not supply our bodies with enough essential amino acids, we can lose muscle mass. It's really important to be giving our bodies the proper building blocks so it has what it needs to build muscle mass.

If you're going to be going the vegetarian/vegan route, you can look up complete protein sources or all animal products like eggs, red meat, chicken, turkey, ect are complete protein sources which have all 9 of the essential amino acids. How much protein we need is debated a lot. Some people recommend 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight and some people suggest 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. I myself am in the middle at 0.8g of protein per pound of muscle mass. Hopefully that gives you a good idea of how much protein you should be taking in. When bulking I usually aim for 150 calories more then my maintenance weight so that my body has more to work with for building muscle but not so much that I'll gain fat really quickly.

At 44 kilograms you are very thin. I'd forsure say to bulk. How many calories are you eating in a day and what are your macros like? The typical sedimentary females average total daily energy expenditure is 1,800 calories a day.

As for learning exercises for the gym, there is a youtuber with the name of Athlean X which I'll link here : https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24 He is a pro athlete trainer and physical therapist. Probably one of the best physical fitness youtube channels for fitness. There is a lot of different exercises to learn so I'd suggest going to his channel and looking up exercises for the following muscle groups : Upper/lower chest, shoulder warmup, shoulders, rhomboids, biceps, triceps, wrists, lats, abs, quads, hamstring, calves and glutes.

How you decide to split up workouts is up to you. I do upper body one day and lower body workouts the next day. The day after working out a muscle group, you should rest it as it's still being repaired. Make sure to get plenty of sleep as this is when muscle building mostly takes place.

The last thing to learn is that muscle building is a long term game. If a new person puts on 10lbs of muscle in a year, that's considered fast and every year it tends to get harder to put more muscle on, depending on how much muscle is on your body. Consistency matters a lot and make sure to lift what you should; not what you can. By this, I mean lift weights that you can do 8-12 reps in a set, for 3-5 sets. Doing a bit lighter weights with more sets and proper form will prevent injury and keep you in the gym.
  • JuliaShchetinina
    Options
    Thank you! It's really helpful for me!
    Now I do not count my micros and calories and maybe it's a wrong decision but it makes me sick a bit but I'm trying to eat enough proper food with plenty of protein :)
    I know that maybe it sounds crazy but despite the fact that my weight is low my body picture without t-shirt is gross as there is no muscles at all just fat
    I hope with your help I will improve my body composition and become much better!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you are at least 10 lbs (if not more) underweight and quite probably not seeing yourself accurately. Please consider going to the doctor and relaying your history to them. Counseling and a registered dietitian can help you see where you are now clearly and come up with a safe and healthy strategy to get to a better place. Until then, please do not try to lose weight.