No one in my house believes in me

Options
Sucks when peiple2 in ur own house get offended when u meal prep or dont wanna eat the junk food.. they say u only live once dumb *kitten*.. im like exactly i wanna live for a while.. im a be 37 years old december 18th and i wanna be fit and i wanna find someone who lives tue life style and fiinally aet
Settle down.. any one have similar issuses with peole in ur house or around u that dont believe in u ??

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. You decide what you want--it's your life. It doesn't matter what they do in your house. If you stick around MFP you'll find a lot of like-minded folks. They will support your decision to lose weight. Good luck to you. There's lots to learn about weight loss, just follow the forums.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    sadly these people that you refer to are likely candidates for both high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. The more junk food (packaged and processed) people consume, the higher the risk of all kinds of health issues. High Blood pressure and type 2 diabetes tend to give no warning signs until it's too late.

Eating healthy and exercise doesn't guarantee a longer life but you will likely outlive anyone who believes the old saying " you only live once" when they refer to what you eat.

You aren't the dumb kitty...they are.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Don't mind them when they bring up these topics. Just believe in yourself and xontinue your course. If they are keen on being around you for a long time then they will come around eventually.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My family - husband and older kids and friends don’t do what I do they don’t care tbh or stick at a weightloss health kick a few days and stop and they are all obsessed with my weight ?
    I ignore them I cook every day and I eat healthily as tbh we are alone in this world in reality yes we have loved ones but at the end of the day when we are sick through life style choices we only have ourselves

Carry on being healthy make your own foods say Thankyou for any advice they feel is correct for them smile and your result will speak for themselves

The saying is
    First they ask you why
    Then they ask you how you did it

Tbh jealousy can effect some people
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sucks when peiple2 in ur own house get offended when u meal prep or dont wanna eat the junk food.. they say u only live once dumb *kitten*.. im like exactly i wanna live for a while.. im a be 37 years old december 18th and i wanna be fit and i wanna find someone who lives tue life style and fiinally aet
    Settle down.. any one have similar issuses with peole in ur house or around u that dont believe in u ??

I think it helps when you have specific goals, are positive and happy with what you are doing and are not talking about your lifestyle changes as being better than anyone else's choices.
    A specific goal might be I am concerned about my sodium intake so I am reading labels and limiting high sodium foods.
    You might emphasize how great you feel or how tasty some food is. If someone offers you something you don't want you can just say my tastes have changed or I'm not hungry you have it. Be firm and consistant.

At 37 years you can live how you want and decide what you will put in your body.
    If people constantly call you names or put you down maybe you need to rethink their place in your life and work toward moving away from them.
  • TheMiniKeto
    TheMiniKeto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am also about to be 37. So hard when you don't have that support you need. Hopefully you will meet tons of awesome people on here to give you that extra boost of motivation! I stay pretty active on my feed...I'm adding you for sure!
  • gratiansin
    gratiansin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey mate, the most important thing is, you should believe in yourself. Others are not important.
    People fail in life because they follow others, family and friends opinions.
    Get fit and prove yourself you can do it, not to them.
    Stay strong.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    *kitten* 'em, you do you.

If they are unhealthy, or overweight etc, you're probably making them more self conscious about their bad choices by making different ones right in front of them.

You'll find your friendships/relationships with family/friends/roomates will change as your lifestyle does. Some for worse, some for better. I know I hang out with my friends who like to drink a lot less now, but on the flipside I have been hanging out with my brother being active a lot more, and a friends roommate has become a good friend because he asked to lift weights with me. It's just life, people change and evolve - and when they do, their relationship tend to become different.
  • amba89lynn
    amba89lynn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is my situation. My husband and daughter eat what I make them but I hear it if they realize I’m making my food for them too. Doesn’t feel like I have the support from my husband that I need sometimes.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Some people need to see to believe. At first it might seem like you've got some pie-in-the-sky goals that won't ever happen. But when they see it's working, and you're making the right choices, they'll have to believe. Be stubborn. Be committed. Look out for yourself, and don't let them push you around. You only live once, but you can die very young if you don't take care of your body.

Amba89lynn--I lost 75 lbs while my husband and kids didn't support me. I cooked things they liked, then I cooked for me. I had simple foods that I could store in single portion containers, and they never had to be subjected to "diet food."

Looking back, I wish I'd made them try eating my way. Loving them with food doesn't lead them to healthy habits. Healthy eating is good for everyone--especially kids. Studies show that kids who are overweight as children have a much greater risk of being obese adults. So what if they complain; unless they're ready to budget to hire a short-order cook, they're stuck with you. Keep PB&J (or another quick food) on hand, and try to provide at least one thing they like. Teach them to dip their fork in the dressing, instead of saturating the salad in it. Let them use a little cheese sauce on the veggies. Show them healthier portion sizes, and lighten up where you can.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Look yourself in the eyes while looking at your bathroom mirror and tell yourself, firmly, that you will not allow anyone to sabotage your current health and wellness journey, NO ONE!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10134341/you-arent-always-going-to-get-support/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shanti200
    shanti200 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Happy early birthday! Focus on the people in your life who do support you, ignore the rest!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t really matter if the people in your house believe in you. What matters is that YOU believe in YOU!!!
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Oh Pedro! I hear ya! Boy do I hear ya. It's a similar situation over here- I take care of my elderly grandmother and all my life she's wanted me to lose weight. Well, now that I'm finally making the effort, she's done a complete 180. Now she's all "Maybe skip the gym tonight" (which she says almost every single evening when I come home from work.) Or she'll try to get me to eat fast food or junk food. She means well, but the whole thing really pisses me off so much. Especially the "no gym" part. I go anyway whether she likes it or not, but it's still incredibly frustrating. She only wants me home because she wants attention, because she's just like that. People like that want you to join them in their pity party- don't give in to it! Stay strong (literally and figuratively!) Do you, and keep at it. Keep living that healthy lifestyle, because at the end of the day, you are the one that has to live with the decisions you make, no one else.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    Use your circumstances as a mental exercise in reverse psychology: when someone tells you not to do something, or you can't, do it anyway just to spite them and show them. That's one way to turn the tables on this situation.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    While this is a sad subject it seems many humans do seek out a premature death by one means or another.

At the age 63 I decided in my case to stop using food to physically and mentally harm myself. Four years later my only wish is that I would have made that choice 40 years earlier.

Life is better when I look for reasons to stay alive. I am going to die but I now hope to be walking and talking until that day comes. :)

• Kimmotion5783
    Options
    By the way, happy birthday Pedro!