Vitamin calories

Options
Yikes! I just added up the calories of my daily vitamins. When carefully weighing everything I eat, I've neglected to add 55 calories per day.
Is that being over-the -top or something you folks do everyday?

Replies

• prettyshambolic
    prettyshambolic Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't count my vitamin calories because otherwise I know I wouldn't take them. 55 calories isn't a lot in the scheme of things, at least to me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this myself. I take evening primrose daily for CFS and have wondered how many calories are in those capsules since it is oil. I wouldn't stress about it but as I always think "my body counts calories perfectly". To log or not to log? For me I don't log them but I also don't maintain at the level MFP says I should (I have to eat less) and this could be a small factor in that.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I log mine - but just for accountability of taking them, I dont mind being "in the red" by the 100 or so calories that it adds.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't log my 15 cal fish oil supp... But if it were me I would probably log those 55 calories. That's between 1540-1705 calories a month. Like another poster mentioned you're probably off on any number of other estimates throughout the day - why add to potential overestimating when you know the total cals.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts!
    Seeing it as the monthly total I will be logging them every day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I log more as a reminder to take them than anything. But mine are 15 cals or so.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My multi vitamins with minerals have 1.7 calories per tablet
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I looked up my evening primrose and it 10 cal/ea. I take two. I think the calories are likely coming from a gummy type supplement? They have calories or some of the caramels for calcium maybe.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I looked up my evening primrose and it 10 cal/ea. I take two. I think the calories are likely coming from a gummy type supplement? They have calories or some of the caramels for calcium maybe.

13 of mine are from my fish oil supplement.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My fish oil has 35 calories. It is 360mg Omega 3
    1200 mg
    The multi vitamins are gummys for 20 calories. I'm going to switch to a regular vitamin.
    Thanks!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I do add my vitamins. It’s 60 extra cals a day! Who knew! I used to love gummies but they have even more sugar and cals..
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I log calories from vitamins, even if it’s just 4 calories. Everything counts, and I want to be as accurate as I can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If there's a health reason to take them, then you should probably take them. 55 calories is pretty insignificant, and my bet is you're off by more than that in other estimates that you make on a daily basis.

Exactly what I was going to say...

The only thing I really take that has calories is my salmon oil pills...when I logged, I never logged them...seemed pretty insignificant to me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If there's a health reason to take them, then you should probably take them. 55 calories is pretty insignificant, and my bet is you're off by more than that in other estimates that you make on a daily basis.

Exactly what I was going to say...

The only thing I really take that has calories is my salmon oil pills...when I logged, I never logged them...seemed pretty insignificant to me.

I log them as a reminder to take them. Beyond that, I don't fuss with the calories.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’ve never even thought about this. Out of curiosity I think I’ll check how many calories mine have, but I don’t plan to log them (for now. May reassess if I plateau).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I log my supplements but not because of the calories. I have a couple of micronutrients my doctor wants me to monitor so adding the vitamin adds to the amount of those in my reports.