SNACKING!!😭😭

Options
I have such a horrible habit of snacking. I like to snack while watching TV or doing schoolwork and I love to snack at night. I hate this.

Replies

• competeagain4x
    competeagain4x Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Drink water
    Or berries
  • DonnaOsnat
    DonnaOsnat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to tell myself I'm just thirsty but almost everyone in my family love to snack lol and not healthy either. So hard to resist myself
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I fit snacks into my daily routine. i eat like 6x a day.
  • KG_1988
    KG_1988 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I fit snacks into my daily routine. i eat like 6x a day.

Out of curiosity... did you mean that you will eat 6 snacks a day on top of 3 small meals, or do you mean you eat 6 times total in a day?
  • MalcomMerriweather
    Options
    I snack all the time. But I make sure I have the exercise calories for it, and I've found low cal alternatives to traditional snacks that taste just as good.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you like it and find it a satisfying way to eat, fit in the calories.

If you would rather have the calories at main meals (as is my preference), then either break the habit (no calorie beverages, including water, diet soda, and homemade iced tea can be helpful, as well as coffee although you might want to avoid the caffeine with nighttime snacking), or snack on something low cal like celery or cucumber (with a little salt they can be a good substitute, IMO).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different ways to approach this. Find lower calorie substitutes for your favorite snacks, such as plain popcorn with seasoning, salted vegetables (I like thinly sliced radishes instead of chips), or Greek yogurt with berries instead of ice cream. Or limit portions, such as one piece of good quality chocolate instead of a whole cheap bar, while paying more attention to enjoying your food. Or you can chew gum. Some people like to brush their teeth because the taste puts them off food.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different ways to approach this. Find lower calorie substitutes for your favorite snacks, such as plain popcorn with seasoning, salted vegetables (I like thinly sliced radishes instead of chips), or Greek yogurt with berries instead of ice cream. Or limit portions, such as one piece of good quality chocolate instead of a whole cheap bar, while paying more attention to enjoying your food. Or you can chew gum. Some people like to brush their teeth because the taste puts them off food.

This is key for me. I find if I really savor my food - meals and snacks, then I'm far less likely to mindlessly over eat.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked yogurt, but I hate it. I would love to do yogurt and berries instead of ice cream but I can't. I have tried many times and it always makes me a little queasy.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    shunggie wrote: »
    I wish I liked yogurt, but I hate it. I would love to do yogurt and berries instead of ice cream but I can't. I have tried many times and it always makes me a little queasy.

My husband is the same way. The sour taste just reminds him of something spoiled. Halo top is a great low calorie ice cream though!
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    shunggie wrote: »

Have youve tried this light and fit STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE GREEK NONFAT YOGURT? Its actually not that bad and I add some blueberries to it and bonus points its only 80 calories! :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Snacks are my downfall. I have found that it's just a habit that I do, usually when I'm bored (watching TV, reading the paper, etc). I bought baby carrots for those times when I just really want to munch on something and that something would be great if it could be kettle chips. There is no way I can "make room in my calorie goal" for the amount of chips I would want to eat. Besides, baby carrots take me longer to eat. I do think that just being strong and breaking the habit might help, although what works for one doesn't always work for another.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    DonnaOsnat wrote: »
    I have such a horrible habit of snacking. I like to snack while watching TV or doing schoolwork and I love to snack at night. I hate this.

Are your snacks putting you over your calorie goal, or did you just hear that snacking is bad?

Are you looking to stop snacking altogether, or do you still want/need to eat at these times and just want more control or lighter ideas?

How long have you been logging here?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    i graze all day.
    snacking is only bad if it doesn't fit in your calorie allotment.
    low calorie snacks are nice. low fat cheese, veggies, popcorn
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    DonnaOsnat wrote: »

frozen grapes
  • sackettmj
    sackettmj Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Cottage cheese with walkers baked crisps is a good snack, its like having crisps with dip and you get the slow releasing proteins, good to eat before bed. MUSCLE FUEL! :D
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i graze all day.
    snacking is only bad if it doesn't fit in your calorie allotment.
    low calorie snacks are nice. low fat cheese, veggies, popcorn

Yes. This. I’m definitely a grazer. I keep a snack basket stocked, veggies and fruits easily grabbable (is that a word..? Is now!) and yogurt or cottage cheese at the ready.
  • mahnamesluke
    mahnamesluke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear that brushing your teeth, chewing gum or anything minty can help with cravings. Also coffee or a BCAA has something in it that helps with sugar/charb cravings.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm with Justem/mbaker/Panini. Snacks snacks snacks, morning, afternoon and night. I actually came searching for this based on the grazing question, because I spend more calories on snacks than on my actual meals! But it's fitting into my calorie goals, so I guess it's cool. :#

I like banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, and cheese cubes with some crackers (I just make sure to stay within portion limits, because I find this to be really filling but I could easily go overboard if not paying attention).