Diet instructions for foody beginner for weight loss

Options
Hi All,

I am new here and looking for weight loss. My weight is 93kgs and height is 5.10 (guessing). Joined here to back in shape as my tummy, bumps and thighs are out of control :neutral:
I am total foody and sweet tooth. But since I have decided to get back in action,need advice , instructions and tips to start.
Hoping to see futher help.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    take it slow, log your foods
  • pranav_m11
    pranav_m11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Roger that.
    Whats next
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love food as well (in fact I'm pretty sure everyone on here does!). The key is portions. Enjoy your favorite foods but make sure the amount that you enjoy fits in your allotted calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There are posts stickied at the top of each forum section. I encourage you to do a lot of reading of those posts (at least the first post in each thread, although great information does get added throughout, but that's a lot of reading), there is a wealth of knowledge in there. Look for the "most helpful posts" at the top of each. These were voted by users to be awesome.
  • ccsisima
    ccsisima Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No food in the entire world will make you gain weight. Excessive amounts of any food will make you gain weight. So like everyone says take it slow, log your foods...find out what you like and what you don't. What has helped me has been swapping some of my favorites for lower cal options. Make your meals yourself, that way you know exactly what you are eating and how much. Also buy yourself a food scale to be able to accurately measure your food. Most importantly be in a calorie deficit so you can lose the weight.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're used to having certain foods frequently during the week, you need to transform them in your head from Everyday Eats to Special Treats. For example, I like full-fat ice cream (forget Halo and ice milk crap!) but I don't keep it around the house for everyday eating. Every couple of weeks, I'll go out and get a dish of the real stuff and enjoy it.

Second, rather than having a large amount of a treat, have a smaller amount, eat it slowly, knowing you can get some more if you really want it. When I've purchased a chocolate bar, it's always a high quality bar and I'll have a couple of squares, letting them dissolve in my mouth and really enjoying them. I wrap up the rest for the next two or three days' treats.

I've found you don't have to do away with your favorite foods, but you do have to change your relationship to them for long-term success.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Planning enough nutrition and the right calories is secret to my ongoing success. I'm too lazy to plan and get bored eating the same thing for weeks. We've been using platejoy.com to plan perfect menus for us and really like it. There's a cost after free trial, but we more than save that from less waste and dining out. You shop for your own food if you want or you can forward the list to instacart. As a foodie, I enjoy the wide variety of flavors and cooking methods they provide. I think the recipes are better than those served at major chain restaurants.

Another big tip: get a decent food scale and weigh everything that you can instead of using dry measures like cups or tbsp. After you learn what foods have big calorie loads and what foods have nearly none, you can guess on the near zero ones.

I used the supplement chromium picolineate a while to suppress my sweet tooth. It works for a lot of people. I also drink a lot of zero calorie soda and chew sugar free gum.

I also committed to walking some every day. The benefit doubles because I'm not sitting on the couch wanting a snack while I'm walking.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are a foodie: you should be used to great tasting, healthy foods that you can savor a bite of. One thing that can help you control portions and be satisfied on less is paying attention to that flavor. Take a bite, notice texture, taste and smell. Every few bites, put the fork down. Take a sip of water. Clear the palate to truly savor the next bite.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pranav_m11 wrote: »
    Roger that.
    Whats next

Eat in a calorie deficit most of the time, it really is that simple.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Roger that.
    Whats next

Just log your food and hit your calorie targets. It's pretty simple. Along the way through this process you will likely learn more in regards to what foods keep you feeling satiated, etc and you can adjust your nutrition appropriately...but that's something that is learned as part of the process because everyone is different and nobody can give you absolute instructions.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    take it slow, log your foods

Once you have mastered that then you can move on. Sometimes those are the most difficult instructions for people to follow.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Roger that.
    Whats next

Eat in a calorie deficit most of the time, it really is that simple.

This is it in a nutshell. To expand on it...

Eat what you normally eat but keep it in your calorie goal. Eventually you will learn what foods are worth it and which food satiate you more. You'll begin to adapt your favorite foods to more nutricious and lower calorie options.

I'd add start some exercise even if its walking to your mailbox and back. You can lose weight without exercising however I find it helps me mentally as well as physically.

Read the threads and log every day.