Working out a plan

Options
I’m grasping at straws and all over the shop. One week I’ve decided it’s IF. Next week I’ve ditched that for a protein focus, the week after I decide to up my fruit and veg intake. Then I try what’s worked for me in the past but doesn’t work this time. No food off limits but eat within a deficit. I try not eating at a deficit hoping that it will stop me getting off track. What they all have in common is that I can’t seem to manage to not self sabotage and turn to poor choices and over eat / eat over my calories . I know that the poor choices are impacting not only my weight but also how I’m feeling about myself. Tired. Lazy. The F*** it mentality is real and the ‘I’ll start tomorrow’ is almost an everyday occurrence. Trouble is I’m having difficulty breaking out of that mentality.

Would love to hear from anyone who can relate. How did you come up with a plan that works for you? Was it your own plan? Any plan in particular that’s worked? Something else that’s worked?

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is focusing on making small changes. I started with only focusing on staying a calorie deficit. That’s it. No off limits food, no worrying about what foods I should or shouldn’t be eating. If I mess up, have an off day, that’s fine I just know I need to get back on track the next day.

Once I feel confident in one small change I will add another. So once I felt like I had calorie counting down I started running - just 2-3 times a week.

Now I’m working on focusing on getting enough protein each day. This one is somehow the hardest one so far but I don’t give up just because I’m not perfect. I don’t expect perfection of myself, I just expect myself to keep trying.

I’m 24 lbs down in 3 months so it seems like it’s working even though there have been plenty of off track days in that three months! But the good days far outweigh the bad and I don’t beat myself up about the bad ones anymore.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    look at it this way: at least you have a still have a choice. Many people on MFP are here because their weight has caused health problems (me included), some more extreme than others and literally the only way to prevent their health from further decline is weight loss and a healthier lifestyle.

As you age the battle gets much, much harder so do it while you still can...avoid high blood pressure, joint pain, liver problems, diabetes, heart conditions etc. by eating healthy and getting regular exercise.

Sadly, poor eating habits and lack of exercise is attributed to roughly 50% of all medical issues in the USA alone. Obesity and poor diet now outrank smoking as the number #1 killer...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Since I am prone to self-medicating with food, switching to managing stress via regular exercise was tremendously helpful for me. I started off simply - just walking 20 minutes.

When my stress is under control, it's easier for me to make better dietary choices. When I upped exercise and protein (and got good sleep), I stopped boredom eating.

I used my food log to start looking at protein, and tweaked protein up and carbs down.

Just a few simple changes and everything fell into place :)
  • Katelin7141
    Katelin7141 Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I can totally relate. Every once in a while I feel stuck, lazy, and hopeless. I think everyone gets into a rut every once in a while. the only thing that helps break me out of it is to choose one small habit that you can do most days of the week. Then add another small habit, and then another until you have built of some really good habits and motivation will start to increase as well. Make sure you aren't overdoing it to a point that you will eventually burn out and it's not sustainable. I wrote a couple of blog posts that might be helpful. :smile:

[Edited By MFP Moderators]
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it is just a series of really small changes and decisions...
    First I saw a dietician.. I couldnt follow the program she gave me, I was feeling restricted and miserable.. Got another 4 pounds..
    Then I started her diet plan again, but I allowed myself some flexibility.. At the same time I signed up here and started logging everything... I only cared about calories.
    Then I started learning what I put in my body. I saw that I was eating at a calorie deficit but I was eating too many carbs.. Carbs are not bad but if choosing to skip chicken because you want the calories for the pasta, is bad. So I started learning about whatmmacros are.. What they do... Which food contains what...
    Then I started watching youtube videos that were making some cool stuff (cauliflower rice sucks but I still tried it)
    Then I went grocery shopping.. I bought 40$ of vegetables and prepared them for the week.
    Then I tried my first youtube workout video..and then another one..
    Suddenly, I am choosing healthy food because I want to.. I workout everyday even for 30 mimutes.. I can guestimate calories when I am out..
    And just yesterday I made my first meal plan and prep for the week. I even put wine and pizza in it..

Sounds like you have recognised the problem.. Now you have to just.. Do it.. It is just a series of decisions regarding yourself.. The thought that works for me is.... Would the child in you be proud of your choices? It always keeps me going in all aspects because I want to know that my dreams of "when I grow up" didnt go to waste. Try to find a quote that will inspire you, that will keep you motivated ,that will help you get up and get going. Keep it in your head and just.. Start ;) you will find the way..