Question for the runners

Options
I went hiking with a friend over the weekend. At one point she told me she can't annoy crows, because she's a runner. She said it like it should be obvious and self explanatory.

Why do runners have to stay on crows' good sides? Why not cyclists and pedestrians? Why not terns or eagles?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before, but I do know that studies have shown that crows and ravens can recognize faces. So if you annoy one once, you may have persistent issues with them.

I don't pay any attention to crows when I run except to sometimes admire them. I am afraid of geese because I've read stories that they can hurt you if they feel threatened (there are big flocks sometimes on my running trail, but I've never personally had a problem with them).
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If i see a bunch of crows i think of the movie "jeepers creepers", and start looking for an old truck along side the road... :o
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before, but I do know that studies have shown that crows and ravens can recognize faces. So if you annoy one once, you may have persistent issues with them.

I don't pay any attention to crows when I run except to sometimes admire them. I am afraid of geese because I've read stories that they can hurt you if they feel threatened (there are big flocks sometimes on my running trail, but I've never personally had a problem with them).

I say hi to the crows because I am a weird person who likes talking to birds.

I’ve also heard the thing about crows remembering people who gave them problems.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Could you hear her laughing quietly as you parted ways?????

"Let's see how gullible this guy is" is a pretty good explanation. You know how sometimes someone will say something outlandish, and you don't want to be the one who says something in case you just don't know something? "Oh, yeah, crows..."
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know they've done experiments where people wear masks, and the crows can recognize faces. On the other hand we drove about 75 miles to get to the trail, so it's not like those mountain crows are going to email the city crows a picture of her or anything.

And yeah, don't mess with geese. There's a park nearby where they congregate, and have babies in the spring. I saw an adult goose run a dog off, I've also seen one bite a person and make him yell in pain. I always give them as much space as possible when I go by them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know they've done experiments where people wear masks, and the crows can recognize faces. On the other hand we drove about 75 miles to get to the trail, so it's not like those mountain crows are going to email the city crows a picture of her or anything.

And yeah, don't mess with geese. There's a park nearby where they congregate, and have babies in the spring. I saw an adult goose run a dog off, I've also seen one bite a person and make him yell in pain. I always give them as much space as possible when I go by them.

I'm so afraid of this! I always make sure to give them plenty of space, especially when they have young ones with them. "Goose bite" isn't something I'm eager to add to my running injuries list.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I'm so afraid of this! I always make sure to give them plenty of space, especially when they have young ones with them. "Goose bite" isn't something I'm eager to add to my running injuries list.

There’s a huge flock of Canadian geese that congregate at, around and on the high school track. It always adds an element of adventure to my track workouts.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    guess there aren't many crows where I live because I don't see them much.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I was running down a small side trail once and found an injured crow on the ground, he must have felt threatened and tried getting away, probably thought I was going to kill him since he couldn’t fly. All of his buddies in the trees watched closely and were squawking at me. Every time I run by that place they yell at me. I do wonder if the little guy survived 🙁. Doesn’t make me avoid that area because of crows though lol. I’ve never heard that.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i think i know why this person mention crows. I had one try to attack me every time i leave the house for about three days. when i turn around to lock my door it would fly behind me and close enough to attack my neck. It freaked me out. The first time the crow did that i was weird out and thought it was my imagination. until i walked to my drive way and while i was distracted and trying to open my door it did the same thing it did at my door and try to peck or claw my neck. happened for another two days until enough was enough. lets just say after the third day it knew not to mess with a crazy kitten such as myself. Had to show who was boss. ( no birds were harm but still wondered why it had a grudge towards me. :neutral: )
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    We don't have many crows around here. Starlings and grackles, but that's about it for black birds. I was attacked by a grouse once, but I think I was too near its nest.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    If i see a bunch of crows i think of the movie "jeepers creepers", and start looking for an old truck along side the road... :o

My first thought would be Alfred Hitchcock...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I went hiking with a friend over the weekend. At one point she told me she can't annoy crows, because she's a runner. She said it like it should be obvious and self explanatory.

Why do runners have to stay on crows' good sides? Why not cyclists and pedestrians? Why not terns or eagles?

It's not a thing I have heard of in the UK.

You have to talk to magpies here though. But that's not a runner thing!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Crows are very intelligent birds. I've heard this from runners and from farmers. Don't piss off the crows.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    google said it means: they hold grudges and teach their children to hold grudges as well

sidenote: i like crows. and i say hi to them when i see them.
    one said hi back
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Folklore

On Celtic mythology corvidae are the messengers of The Morrighan. They're also associated with the trickster.

There are similar associations in Asatru, with Odin.

In a practical sense, Corvidae do seem to have a collective memory, and flocks act in concert. I've watched raven work together to chase off buzzards.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    is your friend Tippi Hedren?