Holiday Temptations 🎄

Options
How are you guys planning on staying on track over the holidays? I am deathly afraid of giving in bc I just re-started my journey a week or two ago.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Christmas is one day...maybe two if you do Christmas Eve stuff. Basically the rest of the month is pretty much business as usual for me.

ETA: I have social stuff going on year around, so the holiday season isn't particularly different from any other time of year...I actually probably have more going on in summer with friends having pool parties and BBQs. I do IF on a lot of Friday's and Saturdays and usually keep to a lighter lunch so I can have fun at the parties.

This year we are hosting a party on the 15th for our friends...we usually get together with them a couple times per month anyway. We will be hosting an open house on Christmas Eve and hosting Christmas dinner on Christmas day...that will be about it for us this year.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Do you know the days that you will be likely to overindulge? It may be helpful to plan around those days. Plan to indulge within reason during family events and christmas parties and such. The rest of the time stick to your plan. If you're counting your calories you may even find you can fit small treats here and there into your calorie goal. Don't be terrified of screwing up. I understand the fear behind not wanting to go crazy over the holiday season. And it's hard not to with treats lurking around every corner. But if (when) you mess up and eat more then you intended, remember: ONE DAY won't ruin all your progress. So long as you jump back to your plan the next day. The key is after over doing it one day is to ALWAYS go back to normal the next. Also, be sure your goals are realistic. Me for example, I know it's unrealistic for me to even try to lose weight this month. So my goal is to track my food, and weigh myself to make sure I just maintain my current losses through the month. After the first of the year, I'll begin cutting my calories and getting the scale moving in a downward direction again.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Fear is a great motivater...embrace it!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Christmas is the only day in December I don’t count calories and stick to my weight loss plan. One day won’t ruin anything, it’s when you treat the whole month and one long holiday that it becomes a problem. You just have to learn to say no. You can still go to all the holiday events without overindulging. You don’t have to eat anything, just enjoy the company.
  • nadean1980
    nadean1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and I do wish it was just a day but it’s more than just one day and more than just one stop. Plus New Years. We will also be out of town so idk maybe I am stressing for no reason but thanks for the support 😁♥️
  • lala_shrinks
    lala_shrinks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadean, I can relate to you anticipating having a hard time while being out of town. This Thanksgiving i was off of MFP and consistant workouts from Nov 18th to Dec 5th. (I know, 😕 thats a lot more than a day). I had 10 family members come stay with me from out of state on the 18th and then after thanksgiving i went back with them for another week. By the time i got home it took me a few days to come down from the busy whirlwind and get back to all of my normal routines. So i get it🙋‍♀️. But even with all that craziness, I didnt just throw in the towel on all my progress. I know what good and bad food and drink choices are. I definitely had a slice of pie but i didnt over do it with the mashed potatoes or mac'n'cheese. For me, i just handle times like this with give and take. I try not to stress the details because the truth is, I WANT MY RESULTS. im excited about how im going to feel and look by this time next year. Im not going to sabotage myself by the emotional rollercoaster. Im just going to keep on, keepin on. Perfect days will come. Horrible days will come but the true results are ONLY going to be in our LONG TERM CONSISTENCY. We got this girl!!! Lets be friends and keep in touch. When your having a hard time, remember why you even stared in the first place.
  • emsmiley12
    emsmiley12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get a solid exercise routine in the beginning of the week. Allow yourself to have fun and enjoy Christmas with friends or family. Remember why you’re doing your fitness journey. Then as the holiday is over, you get right back on track with proper nutrition and fitness. Being too strict on yourself on Christmas has a higher chance of harming you than helping you. Enjoy your holiday and know the day after is a day to start over, and not regret missing out on tradition. 💪🏻
  • calfwhisperer
    calfwhisperer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I lost 40 lbs on MFP and I allowed myself just Christmas day to indulge. I've had 1 leg on and 1 leg off the weight loss wagon ever since😔
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I was panicked too that I'd regain all the weight I've worked to lose. Now I'm relaxed about it.. exercising most days and keeping on my healthy eating plan.. and will have fun on Christmas..and when December is over.. I'll get back to my routine. In reality.. I'm not going to gain 40 pounds back unless I work real hard at eating a lot.

In the meantime, I am not eating any cookies or sweets on these days leading up to Christmas.

Another thing that's really helped me is I started using Instacart grocery store delivery.. love it for many reasons..but a bonus is I don't see all the holiday junk food at the grocery store. I think that is helping a whole lot this month.
  • CoffeeAndWanderlust
    Options
    1) I’m logging everything. EVERYTHING. Even if/when I go over. This way, the habit and awareness is still there. As long as I log, it’ll never be as bad as it WOULD be. (Admittedly, it’s not as good as it should be either).

2) I’m in a Biggest Loser competition with friends and family. It helps keep accountability, even though we are almost all struggling lately.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Get in the habit of swapping !
    Get a calendar with little surprises or decorations instead of treats/choc.
    Have strawberries with your champagne instead of truffles
    Have carrot sticks with yogurt dips/hummus/ salsa instead of pretzels or nuts.
    Even one little thing can make a ton of difference.

And I agree with Coffeeandwanderlust. Log it. Log it all. Because it may actually not be as bad As you thought and it might help you with self control.

Try not to go for seconds and happy Xmas ! :)