Celexa

Options
I started taking Celexa about 6 months ago. Since then, I've gained 15lbs, dispite my best exercising and eating efforts.... it's crazy.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• Samanimal83
    Samanimal83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started taking Celexa about 6 months ago. Since then, I've gained 15lbs, dispite my best exercising and eating efforts.... it's crazy.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what it is... or does.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what it is... or does.

I dont either...except now I know it makes you gain 15 pounds....pass...I have cheese and steak for that task:smile:
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're doing well mentally on Celexa, I was SOOOOO much worse on it. But anti-depressants can cause you to gain weight, I'm not really sure why. I know people that have gone off of meds because of the weight gain, but that's not a good thing at all. I think it's better to be overweight and mentally stable then look great in a bikini and want to die.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Side Effects:

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

*seizure (convulsions);
    *tremors, shivering, muscle stiffness or twitching;
    *problems with balance or coordination; or
    *agitation, confusion, sweating, fast heartbeat.

Other less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:

*feeling nervous, restless, or unable to sit still;
    *drowsiness, dizziness, trouble concentrating;
    *sleep problems (insomnia);
    *nausea, gas, upset stomach, loss of appetite;
    *weight changes;
    *urinating more than usual;
    *decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm; or
    *dry or watery mouth, yawning, or ringing in your ears.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Source: http://health.yahoo.com/depression-medications/citalopram-oral/healthwise--d04332a1.html#d04332a1-sideeffects
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Read the thread under yours-she stopped hers due to wt gain and had a drastic event. I would suggest asking your Doc for 1 that doesn't make you gain wt. I'm on Effexor for anxiety whose side effect is like an antidepressive.:flowerforyou: It's by cab24242
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Wow. :noway:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't do well on that one but that's just me I gained weight around that time but when I look back there was so much going on in my life I can't honestly blame it all on the drug
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I took Celexa for a past year and just stopped taking it in December (AFTER significant progress in therapy). I did gain a significant amount of weight, but my habits were quite bad; the gain had little (if anything) to do with the meds. Some drugs do affect your appetite. Some people become hungrier when their mood is better. Are you feeling more hungry than in the past? Have your eating habits changed?

If the meds are working for you mentally, then you will be able to have the emotional strength to manage your weight loss. It's working for me and I've never lost weight the way I am now.

126046.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Read the thread under yours-she stopped hers due to wt gain and had a drastic event. I would suggest asking your Doc for 1 that doesn't make you gain wt. I'm on Effexor for anxiety whose side effect is like an antidepressive.:flowerforyou: It's by cab24242

To be clear, I stopped taking Celexa because it was bad for me mentally and I got on another group of meds that worked really well. I <i>knew</i> people who went off of it because of the weight issue. I in no way condone going off meds for any reason other than that your doctor said it's ok.