Protein shakes - best tasting?

Options
karamae
karamae Posts: 136 Member
What are the best tasting protein shakes? I'm a VERY picky eater/drinker and I need something that isn't going to taste nasty! Thanks!

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I started drinking Protein Freeze last week. I love it. The chocolate flavor tastes like Swiss Miss hot chocolate (but not hot, obviously). I've never tried another protein drink. Its not required, but you can also add a nut butter and freeze Protein Freeze to make ice cream, popsicles or other treats. Notably, Protein Freeze is half price right now because they are going to start selling a new and improved version, called Fit Freeze, sometime in September.

I learned about Protein Freeze from some of the Kim Lyons' fat loss material. She is one of the Biggest Loser coaches.
  • Bmajhor
    Bmajhor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like the Herbalife one's. They have lots of different flavors too :)
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they are all *kitten* flavored, despite what they say on the container.

I use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OC1U4O/ref=oss_product

Chocolate *kitten*. mmmm.
  • kimberly130
    Options
    I love jillian michaels triple chocolate shake, its yummy with skim milk (tastes like choco milk) and add a banana its like a choco covered banana! Vitamin world has these if you can find an outlet center its 10 bucks for 2lbs!
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making your own then. MRM Vanilla or chocolate whey protein is good. I love using the vanilla, with peanut butter and milk., blended with ice.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    PHD Belgian Chocolate.

Shakes taste different depending if made with milk or water. I find them too rich/sickly with milk.

Some companies have sample sizes if you phone them.
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (Double Rich Chocolate Flavor). I mix it with skim milk or almond milk and it tastes just like creamy chocolate milk :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have taken 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder added it to a diet coke with a splash of pure lemon juice.
    You have to be careful because the soda fizzes like crazy and you don't want the powder to glop at the bottom of the glass.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    The Cafe Light Muscle Milk is really good!
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they are all *kitten* flavored, despite what they say on the container.

I use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OC1U4O/ref=oss_product

Chocolate *kitten*. mmmm.

Couldn't agree more!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with gnc's lean muscle meals vanilla.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Gaspari Myofusion Milk Chocolate...I drink it first thing in the morning...every morning...it's delicious
  • Ingridriddle
    Options
    I use Jillian Micheals vanilla and throw it in my blender with a handful of ice, strawberries and half a banana (with water) Yum! and a quick fill me up before or after the gym!
  • eak924
    eak924 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shakeology!! It tastes awesome and has really helped me to lose weight and gain muscle!!
  • luckyandme
    luckyandme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty picky about taste as well. I really liked using fresh fruits and either 2% milk or water...milk tasted better to me but that's a personal choice. Then I would use a scoop of protein powder from gnc. To me the chocolate and banana flavor tasted best. Banana mixed well with just about all of the fruit variations and the chocolate tasted good with a peanut butter shake or even with some of the fruit...the combination were endless. I first started getting them at the gym I use to belong to and they were yummy so started asking what was in them and trying to make them at home. It took some practice to get the right taste and sometimes something I thought would be yummy turned out not so good but in time i figured it out. I love strawberries and bananas. I think making shakes this way tastes far better then the pre-made drinks or powders that just ask to add water or milk. I think the fruit really makes it taste all the better. What ever you do don't buy the flavorless version of the protein powder that gnc makes. One would think that would be a good idea because ideally you could mix it in anything but it has a different texture that doesn't blend as well into things and although true it won't taste like chocolate or vanilla it does have a gross taste. Good luck.
    What are the best tasting protein shakes? I'm a VERY picky eater/drinker and I need something that isn't going to taste nasty! Thanks!
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Besides the taste, the best protein powder (in my opinion of course) is Syntha 6. I have used both vanilla and chocolate. They don't taste amazing, but none do. It taste fine but the benefit is in the product. It uses 6 different proteins for 24 hour activation. It has the best ratio of calories to protein that I have found. The fat is a little high at 5 or 6 grams, but if you are working out this shouldn't be a problem. Also, taken with milk I actually quite enjoy them. Good luck.
  • onetwentysomething
    onetwentysomething Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have taken 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder added it to a diet coke with a splash of pure lemon juice.
    You have to be careful because the soda fizzes like crazy and you don't want the powder to glop at the bottom of the glass.

I've never heard of this before, but it sounds yummy!
  • luckyandme
    luckyandme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like the Herbalife one's. They have lots of different flavors too :)

I have heard good things from lots of people about this but I tried them and they just had such an after taste for me that I couldn't stick with them. I have a place right near my house kind of a juice bar type of place that for $5 you can go in get a shake, shot of aloe water (this I liked and found really good for me), and a cup of their tea which is suppose to give you energy (if you look at the label it is all caffeine so if you have a caffeine sensitivity I don't recommend the tea). Although your post reminded me that I did want to go get some more aloe juice for the aloe water. Glad you have found a shake you like.
  • vellacraptor
    Options
    My dad has muscle milk and another one that's chocolate flavored. They don't taste so great, but if you try to drink them for at least a day or two the taste grows on you...at least I like it now. :3
    I always mix it with just plain white milk, or if I need something sweet I throw a banana in with the chocolate powder and add the milk all into a blender.
  • cybillzimmer
    cybillzimmer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lean Dessert Powder is awesome... but somewhat expensive!