Effects of Whey Protein in Women

Options
Hi there - I have been lifting regularly for about three years now. After modifying my goals recently, I have begun to supplement my diet with Whey Protein (ON - Chocolate) as I was having difficulty hitting my daily protein goal. This is my first time supplementing with anything outside of BCAA's, which I have not been using for quite some time now. After about a week, I developed a yeast infection, which is something I do not suffer from. (Nor do I have any other regular signs of Candida Overgrowth - something that came up in my research) I stopped using the ON protein and it has cleared up. My research has come up short on any kind of link between the two. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues? Or this is just unfortunate timing? There is little connection that I have been able to find, and I am hoping to spare myself from the trial/error method that my doc recommended.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a coincidence... only one way to find out unfortunately...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you have any problems with dairy? Whey is just a component of cow's milk. Unless there is an additive in that particular brand you had some kind of reaction to. My first thought is weird coincidence but I am in no way shape or form a medical professional of any kind!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a weird coincidence. Whey is simply a dairy bi-product of cheese making. I know tons of women who supplement with whey and have never had any issues.
  • shann8n482
    shann8n482 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I’ve never had any kind of dietary issues/allergies, and the list looks short and sweet - but I am no dietician or medical professional either 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Do you have any problems with dairy? Whey is just a component of cow's milk. Unless there is an additive in that particular brand you had some kind of reaction to. My first thought is weird coincidence but I am in no way shape or form a medical professional of any kind!

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I use the same kind and have never had that problem
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I use the same kind and have never had that problem

Same.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've used a myriad of whey protein with no issues. I do go for brands with very little in the way of additives, however.

I am prone to yeast infections if spending a lot of time in a wet bathing suit or if taking antibiotics, but now that I take probiotics regularly, yeast infections are a thing of the past.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree its coincidence. My wife has been using whey for awhile and never had an issue.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If it's only one yeast infection, then it's very likely a coincidence. If you continue getting yeast infections, I'd ask your doctor.
  • crazycatcuddler
    crazycatcuddler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use ON chocolate whey and ON chocolate casein every day, no issues.
  • EmmieEatsEverything
    Options
    I also use this brand and have not had any problems.