Favourite Cookbook

Options
What’s your favourite cookbook?
Latest cookbook you just bought?
Favourite chef?

Betty Crocker cookbook - old tried but true.

Jamie Cooks Italy - excited to try out his Italian recipes!

Jamie Oliver - He’s fun to watch and love his rustic way of cooking.

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Joy of cooking 😊, my mom left all of us kids a copy with a little note inside from her. It has some of my favorite recipes my family has always followed.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    runners world cookbook.
    harry potter cookbook
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My mom got me the Betty Crocker cookbook when I was in high school and I still have it. It's tattered and falling apart but I love it. I don't use it as much any more but I still have it.

The last book I bought was Richard Blais' "Try This at Home".

My favorite chefs are those who've appeared on Top Chef (Richard Blais, Stefan Richter, Brooke Williamson, Michael Voltaggio, Kuniko Yagi, etc.). I also like Thomas Keller, Wiley Dusfrene and the like. I don't necessarily like Martha Stewart but I do use a lot of her recipes.

I don't buy cookbooks that often anymore. I usually tend to just look up recipes on line.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oldest cookbook - "Betty Crocker", mine is falling apart too but only use for favorites like hollendaise sauce these days
    Favorite cookbook - That's tough, I love them all but for information probably "The Joy of Cooking"
    Last Purchase - One of the "Skinny Taste" cookbooks, I have a couple so not sure which was last.

Honorable mentions- Inspiralized series & Looney spoons cookbooks
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I can't pick a favorite, I have a silly number. But:

Recommended for newbie cooks: Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything (and his Fish was extremely helpful for me at one time). Also Roasting: A Simple Art and Vegetable Love, both by Barbara Kafka.

Really helpful and interesting: The Science of Cooking, Harold McGee

For fun: Joyce of Cooking (food and drink from James Joyce's Dublin) -- important to note the beginning of the first Leopold Bloom chapter in Ulysses: "MR Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and
    fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented
    urine."

Also: A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Cookbook.

Great book I should spend more time with: 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Most recent acquisition might be The Taste of Country Cooking, Edna Lewis, although I also got Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan last year. I spent this year trying to thin out my books, including cookbooks, so did not acquire anything new.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    For quick and simple I love the Hairy Bikers Diet books, but usually add quite a bit of stuff as those dishes tend to be too low calorie for me. Other than that: Quick Soups from Scratch by Ivy Manning, and I have a couple of cookbooks for German Eintopf (some kind of one pot soup stew). I'm generally not into TV chefs, and also don't watch cooking on tv (or pretty much any tv).

Worth mentioning: the spice tree (how to spice Indian food) and Daal (only dhal). Also On the Pulse is nice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a ton and used to use them a lot, but now they mostly collect dust save for some very specific recipes in a couple books...pretty much use Pinterest these days.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just use the internet to find recipes lol. I like allrecipes and simplyrecipes
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It's been several years since I bought a cookbook, but I believe the last one was for my husband and it is also my favorite...The Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. We're not vegan, but love it!

I don't have a favorite chef at all, I don't follow anyone or watch programs about cooking.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Better Home and Gardens New Cook Book is my favorite and most used. I prefer older editions to mine though. Mostly because the 2006 edition was made with a cover that wont stay on. :neutral:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Joy of cooking 😊, my mom left all of us kids a copy with a little note inside from her. It has some of my favorite recipes my family has always followed.

Yes, if I could have just one cookbook, it would be the Joy of Cooking for sure. In fact, I often get emailed recipes from America's Test Kitchen, look them up in my JOC, and make that version instead (I prefer the way JOC formats recipes.)

My library system carries this and many more cookbooks - anyone interested in checking out cookbooks before buying should check their library system.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Better Homes and Gardens New Book
    Taste of Home
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Cooks Illustrated without a doubt. We have three of their cookbooks and the magazine subscription, but the magazines and the big catch-all cookbook (red cover) are our go-tos. We rarely ever use our other cookbooks since getting it.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Better Home and Gardens New Cook Book is my favorite and most used. I prefer older editions to mine though. Mostly because the 2006 edition was made with a cover that wont stay on. :neutral:

Same here, the Better Home and Gardens Cook Book is my favourite. I've got three editions of it and make things from all of them:

- The 11th edition from 1996, which I got when I moved out on my own.
    - An unknown edition with no copyright date that was my Mom's. Guessing it's from the late 60's/early 70's.
    - The 4th edition from 1943. It has an interesting section on wartime rationing.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Favorite cookbook is 1,000 Vegan Recipes, followed closely by Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I haven't bought a cookbook in years; these days I use what I have or look online.

Another vote for Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz!

I’m not vegan, but a friend cooked several of these recipes for me, and I got hooked. It’s probably my most used cookbook now. Just so darn delicious.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The best cookbook ever is Eat This...It'll Make You Feel Better by Dom DeLouise. There's variety in the recipes he includes, and the stories he tells are priceless.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    platejoy.com gives me great tasting meal plans perfectly sized and matched to my needs and goals.