Odd points about food

2»

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I get ribbed on putting dill pickles in grilled cheese sandwiches by the same person who decided peanut butter, bologna, and jelly is a delicacy everyone must know about, despite people dry heaving at the thought of it.

Why is eating raw seafood still a thing despite the warnings about under cooked meat and recalled lettuce?

As long as it is cleaned and handled correctly, most raw seafood such as that used for sushi carries a very low risk. The fish are flash frozen after being caught to stop bacteria growth and kill parasites. So really the bigger risk is from the person preparing it contaminating the fish with outside bacteria, not bacteria from the fish itself.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I think just the act of eating and the social/cultural norms around it are odd when you really stop to consider it. We put dead things, which were originally either animals or plants, in our mouths. We often *enjoy* doing that and even have elaborate, celebratory social rituals surrounding it. Our bodies then break those things down to extract the nutrients that we can use, and we excrete the unusable parts in a process that most cultures find somewhat to highly taboo.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    You ever wonder why they make lemonade out of concentrate but they make dish soap out of real lemons?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    There's real lemon in concentrate too
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I love seafood but it's odd to think that prawns (shrimp), crabs, lobsters, crayfish, yabbies, etc, which I regard as the most delicious of seafood's are kinda just aquatic equivalent bugs, beetle and spiders.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    chicken sashimi...yikes!!!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Who first looked at the inside of a passion fruit and said, "Oh yeah, that looks delicious!"? :tongue:

d5p1ea1al2pw.jpg

(I know, I know, we watched what other animals ate and didn't die from, but still, passion fruit looks disgusting.)

I feel the same way about oysters - snot on a half shell is a delicacy?!?!?!

I absolutely love cooked oysters but raw oysters are a scam to get people to pay lots of money for something disgusting. All the eating procedures for raw oysters make you taste it as little as possible. I can put my own lemon and hot sauce on my own seaweed-flavored booger and save lots of money swallowing it as fast as possible at home.

Raw oysters are amazing! If they are fresh you don't need any sauces, the wonderful natural flavours and saltiness is all you need :)
  • hrafnkat
    hrafnkat Posts: 10 Member
    Odd foods:

Kæstur hákarl... an Icelandic delicacy that's basically fermented shark meat. Smells like a cross between cat pee (due to the ammonia content) and fish. It's made from a type of shark that is poisonous when fresh, but becomes "edible" after having rotted for several months. Somebody really had to be starving and desperate to figure that one out.

Also Balut, which is a Philippino/SE Asian food consisting of an embryonic duck that is boiled and eaten straight from the shell - bones, feathers and all. Now that one must have started as a bet.

Agree with whoever said durian as well - it smells like a rather nasty public restroom. Sure, let's eat that!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Who first looked at the inside of a passion fruit and said, "Oh yeah, that looks delicious!"? :tongue:

d5p1ea1al2pw.jpg

(I know, I know, we watched what other animals ate and didn't die from, but still, passion fruit looks disgusting.)

I feel the same way about oysters - snot on a half shell is a delicacy?!?!?!

I absolutely love cooked oysters but raw oysters are a scam to get people to pay lots of money for something disgusting. All the eating procedures for raw oysters make you taste it as little as possible. I can put my own lemon and hot sauce on my own seaweed-flavored booger and save lots of money swallowing it as fast as possible at home.

Raw oysters are amazing! If they are fresh you don't need any sauces, the wonderful natural flavours and saltiness is all you need :)

Agreed.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Fruit = plant ovaries....mmmm ovaries (lol).
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I think just the act of eating and the social/cultural norms around it are odd when you really stop to consider it. We put dead things, which were originally either animals or plants, in our mouths. We often *enjoy* doing that and even have elaborate, celebratory social rituals surrounding it. Our bodies then break those things down to extract the nutrients that we can use, and we excrete the unusable parts in a process that most cultures find somewhat to highly taboo.

Also, if you frame the act of eating (and many things pertaining to the human body and organic life in general) a certain way, it's all a bit magical... "Do you mean to tell me that if I eat this [food] I can absorb its energy and gain strength from it??" Or, conversely "If I feed this [non-food or other known allergen] to this person, I can drain their energy and make them ill or even die??"

Magic, friends.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I have nothing to add but I am enjoying following this thread - its food for thought :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I think it's odd that we eat meat at all. We think we are so smart that we condemn other cultures for eating animals like dogs. As if their lives are more important than a cow, which is revered in other cultures? Obvious points, but points nonetheless.
    Btw...I eat meat (or should I say, "animals")

I think it's to do with the emotional connection we get with having animals as pets. I have had a rabbit, chinchilla, dogs and cats. I couldn't ever imagine those types of animals being eaten without being sick to my stomach. I haven't had any emotional connections with cows or chickens so it makes it easier for me to eat.

I also volunteer at a humane society just outside of my city so I have a lot of emotional connections with different cats and dogs.

I saw a video on youtube last night where people were playing ball with a cow and thought to myself, "How do you eat an animal you played ball with?" My OH thought perhaps it was a milk cow.