help — making ALS cookbook for my mom

Options
GirlWithCookies
GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
Hi. My mom was recently diagnosed with motor neurone disease. We don't know yet if it's ALS, because the doctors say it's too soon to tell. For Christmas I'm making her and my dad their own cookbook based on the dietary recommendations for ALS, which are paleo based.

What I'm looking for from the MyFitnessPal community is easy paleo/all-natural recipes (emphasis on easy!) that don't require many special ingredients. I know my parents won't want to go out of their way to buy a hard-to-find ingredient that they only need a teaspoon of. I don't want to buy a cookbook — it will mean much more if I do this.

Also, my dad does the grocery shopping and he's having trouble figuring out where to buy all-natural meat (no nitrites/nitrates/msg/antibiotics, etc.). Does anyone know of a company that sells certified all-natural meat like this and can ship?

Thank you, everyone, in advance!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there is a pretty robust ALS community on facebook - look up Matt Bellina (he is a friend of mine and was diagnosed with ALS a couple of years ago)
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the paleo diet, but my husband did for a short time a few years back. The one thing I remember him making that I loved the most (that wasn't crazy complicated) was this sweet potato dish.

Shred a sweet potato with a cheese grater.
    Heat a table spoon of coconut oil in a skillet.
    Cook the potato until is it tender, stir it occasionally.
    Add a bunch of cinnamon to taste at the end.