I don’t get it

Options
2»

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You can’t effectively or accurately “think” yourself to be a particular weight and then base a weight control plan around eyeballing the portion sizes.

Get a scale and use it religiously , logging everything you eat .

You will have a better chance of success with real data, hard facts on which to base your thinking
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Just one more suggestion about weighing food. I have a low fat popcorn I eat alot as a snack and had started out by measuring it into a bowl and then always using that bowl. The package had the usual verbage saying that 50 grams or 7.25 cups was 260 calories. I thought wow that's great so I ate around 3 cups in a sitting. My weight had started sneaking up so I weighed it. My 3 cup bowl ended up being 42 grams which was not 130 calories as I thought but more like 200. So as a result I was over just on that one snack daily. 6 ounces of steak is very small and I would suggest you weigh it next time and you might be surprised.

I also agree that at 160 pounds trying to lose 2.5 pounds a week is way too aggressive. I understand believe me but take your time and lose a bit slower and you will accomplish a few things. 1. you will be more likely to keep it off as you learn to permanently change your habits. 2. You will protect your muscle - remember the heart is a muscle. 3. You will feel a heck of a lot better while you lose.

Good luck OP you can do this but cut yourself a little slack and enjoy the process.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to stop taking weight loss advice from your husband. Your rate is already WAY too aggressive and MFP is designed for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. A 600 calorie burn sounds too high, as most MFP database estimates are, but you should at least be eating back half of that, likely more. At your current weight, at the rate you are losing, you are costing yourself a lot of lean muscle mass which is not only unhealthy, but won't be very asthetically pleasing in the end. A woman needs to net at least 1200 to meet her body's basic requirements.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you lose too quickly, end up skinny fat with loose skin, you might still look soft. Something I'm sure you or your husband won't appreciate. Not to make him look like a bad guy, I'm sure he has your goals in mind. But a rush to the finish line isn't in your best interest long term. Been there, heard how I need to eat once a day, eat only salad, juice and smoothie diet, etc. But what works long term for me is moderate, sustainable weight loss, which includes eating some of the exercise calories back.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If the goal is to have a trim attractive body at this point I think you would get more out of a progressive lifting routine. Do it for a year.

Bouncy scales is normal, give or take five pounds. It’s not a reflection of your effort.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If you sincerely want to understand how to be able to eat without guilt, eat foods you love without deprivation, squash the myths concerning metabolism and starvation mode, I cannot emphasize enough- READ THE STICKIES.

You will learn the “why” behind needing to weigh your food, choosing a healthy deficit, trending weight, consistency...

The only way to wrap your head around this whole weight loss thing is understanding the science and math, which provides incredible amounts of insight. With knowledge comes the confidence to reach your goal.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such good insight and advice!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    MHarper522 wrote: »
    Yes, sodium can make a difference if it makes you retain water. It can also be because you pushed a bit harder in the gym (muscles retaining water as they repair themselves), or a lot of other reasons. With weighting yourself just once every 2 weeks all you know is your weight that day and weight fluctuates up and down. Maybe yesterday you were a pound more down. As long as you're achieving a downward trend, you're making progress.

5 pounds every 2 weeks is 2.5 lbs a week, that's a bit of an agressive rate. How much weight do you have to lose overall? How much still til goal? How much weight have you lost already? It's normal for weightloss to be quick when you start, and slow as you go.

Not sure if you weigh your food, but there's always the chance you are eating more than you think. Are you eating back your exercise calories? (You should).

I think I’m about 160 now, I’m 5’6”. My goal weight is 140, maybe even 130. I’ve probably lost 15 pounds or so already. Hard to tell, I don’t have a starting weight (I just have a really unflattering photo from last summer). My husband told me not to eat back my exercise calories, so the days where I’m burning the 600 and eating 1400 (I generally eat a bit more on my exercise days), I’m netting like 800. But he said if I eat back my exercise calories I’ll gain. I just don’t know what to do anymore. Maybe a food scale is good. I eat things that are easy to count - eggs, bell peppers, one protein shake. I do measure with cups. But some things I eyeball, like if I’m having steak I’ll say that’s about 6 oz.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You’re doing great!!! Don’t let one weigh-in get you down.

You still lost weight! As you mentioned, there’s a good chance it was just a little bloating from the salt and beer. Stay the course. You know from your previous weeks that what you’ve been doing is working!

Hugs! You got this!
  • caroannv
    caroannv Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of great advice here re. Rate of weight loss, food scales etc which Is really good. What helps me keep perspective is using a weight trend tracker - I use Happy Scale because I have an iphone but there are android apps too. It helps me to see the trend weight staying steady when my daily weight jumps around.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,413 Member
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to stop taking weight loss advice from your husband. Your rate is already WAY too aggressive and MFP is designed for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. A 600 calorie burn sounds too high, as most MFP database estimates are, but you should at least be eating back half of that, likely more. At your current weight, at the rate you are losing, you are costing yourself a lot of lean muscle mass which is not only unhealthy, but won't be very asthetically pleasing in the end. A woman needs to net at least 1200 to meet her body's basic requirements.

Yeah, he’s naturally skinny/slim and he actually has to work to put weight on! It’s very mathematical to him, the calories. I don’t think he understands the nuances of dieting and calorie counting at the low end and what it does to the metabolism. Not to mention my mood, I’ve been really hangry and just plain irritable lately.

I've been your current size (on my way down), and now am in year 3 of maintenance. 5 pounds every two weeks is too fast to lose at your current size, as others have said. It's a health risk.

Is something bad guaranteed to happen? No. But you're on the bad side of the odds.

Slowing down would have two advantages: (1) less health risk (including that risk of losing hard/slow-to-replace muscles that help with appearance and health), and (2) beginning to get you started tapering your eating slowly upward, so you can learn the habits and skills that will keep you at a healthy weight permanently once you reach goal.

I lost weight too fast by accident for a time (MFP underestimates my calorie needs), and corrected as soon as I realized, but it still took weeks to recover. Don't take the risk. It isn't worth it. You'll reach your goal, still, but will arrive there more smoothly (stalls are more likely when severely undereating), and will be healthier.

Your husband is a different person, different size, different hormones, different everything. His advice, now, is not helpful in this respect. It's time to become more independent, and take more control of your own progress (with the assistance of neutral professional expert(s) if/when needed, not someone who's invested). Your being "hangry" is a canary in the coal mine: It's a danger sign. Heed it.

Best wishes!