Walking as Workout?

How much do you walk per day if you use walking as your exercise? Yesterday I went on 2 30 minute walks with my dog.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I strive for 2 hours, but 90 minutes or more is "good enough"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't walk for my workouts any longer, but when I did I went for 30-60 minutes everyday depending on how much time I had...
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited December 2018
    I walk 5 days a week at a pace of 4 miles per hour for between an hour and an hour and 20 minutes at an indoor track.
  • roxxyo
    roxxyo Posts: 19 Member
    Im assuming ut all depends on what kind of walking ? High intensity/ low intensity power walking?
  • hclay25
    hclay25 Posts: 32 Member
    I’m not doing power walking but walking my dog right now and he loves going but my legs get pretty tired around 20-22 minutes that’s why I ask what is normal for other people?
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    I walk 30-45 minutes 4x a week as my main cardio at the gym but I also get 4k-7k steps just with my normal day to day life (work, kids, etc...)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    hclay25 wrote: »
    I’m not doing power walking but walking my dog right now and he loves going but my legs get pretty tired around 20-22 minutes that’s why I ask what is normal for other people?

Don't worry about what other people do or don't do. Just do what you can and gradually keep increasing. I know @estherdragonbat didn't start out at 2 hours per day, for example. She built up to that.

Yup, I started at "25 minimum". One day a week, I went to do grocery shopping on foot, which normally was 2 hours of walking, but the rest of the week, I was just shooting for 25.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    hclay25 wrote: »

Perfectly normal.

Started out walking the dogs a bunch. One peters out at about the 15 min mark so I either had to be back home or I'd have to carry her. The other one can go a lot longer.

That was a couple of years ago. Since then I've done a few half marathons and want to do a full in 2019.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I walk 45 to 60 minutes per day sometimes (work days) it is split into two walks. My goal is 8,000 to 10,000 steps per day. I probably move at about 3 to 3.5 mph but I didn't start there. Start where you are and add if you can as time goes by. I started at 4,000 steps a day. I was 100 pounds overweight and that was a hard workout for me. Now that I'm at goal I continue to walk 6 days a week and have finally started lifting weights but you don't have to do everything all at once. People who are fit or young often don't understand that. Start with what you can stick to.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    I typically walk for an hour to a couple of days a week to supplement my workouts. I was shocked to learn that i burn at a minimum of 500 calories in that hour, sometimes more.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Don't worry about what is normal. Do what you can do and strive to improve! I think 2 30 minute walks sounds great. People act like walking is not that great of exercise but when I get lots of steps on my fitbit, my calorie burn is way higher than if I was sedentary. Anything to move your body is good.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    30 minutes twice a day is a good amount if your goal is weight loss and overall health.
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    i walk 1 mile a day on work break (15-18 mins)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Instead of taking a lunch break I take two walking breaks at work 30 mins each. Don't really want to go through the hassle of changing and showering, so this makes for a good compromise.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I try and get 2x30minute walks with the dog & taking kids to/from school. Sometimes it's only 15mins or only once depending on work & other activities, or sometimes longer.

It's the kids' last day of school today until the end of Jan, so we'll have to find a new routine though...
  • lemmonsgirl38
    lemmonsgirl38 Posts: 2 Member
    20 to 30 minutes if tredmill...45 min. If walking the neighborhood or if at the park....several hours if with a buddy to chat up a storm
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    I walk for 45ish mins/day (my lunch break is one hour, so I walk then) average 5x per week. I walk every working day and then on my flex schedule I have every other Monday off work, so I go to walmart and walk around there a bit extra while shopping. If I had more time during working days, I would like to walk more.