Eating Disorder Recovery and Pregnancy - Any Help?

Options
Hi ladies and gents...I'm in recovery from an eating disorder (anorexia) and also trying to get pregnant undergoing fertility treatments. It's been terrifying and I've been flirting with recovery. I used to eat around 800 - 1200 cals a day and have slowly been increasing to around 1800 - 2000. It's incredibly, incredibly scary for me since I don't know what pregnancy will do to my body. Has anyone had experience with this? Or any general recovery advice on what to eat? Thanks so much for the support.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to talk with your treatment team and/or doctors about this.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to health care team. Dietary, pcp or ob, and therapist. Eating adequately will help your hormones even out so that you can get pregnant. Do you have normal menstral cycles?
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Though I've never been pregnant I can relate to your struggles with anorexia. Please remember that you and your baby deserve your happiness and recovery.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something to discuss with your doctors, although having been pregnant myself 4 times, the whole "eat for two" business is not true.
    Your baby is going to take everything it needs from you, which will only leave you feeling the effects so you do need to eat well.
    But maintaining an 1800 to 2000 is perfect for a growing baby, and I think they say increase by 200? In the last trimester.

If you do become pregnant then please make sure you stay in close contact with your team because someone without an eating disorder can not like the effect it has on the body despite it being for a good cause. Although lots of women fully embrace it and love it!
    I hope it helps x