Uterine Prolapse and Exercise

Options
irejb
irejb Posts: 64 Member
I went to GP was told I have a prolapse (possibly uterine) which surprised and scared me because I thought this only occurred in women, who are post-menopausal, had kids, or are older than 50 (I'm 41 and don't have kids). I don't know what could have caused it. :/

Anyway, GP referred to GYN, who I will see in a few weeks. GP also told me I can continue exercising, but truth be told I'm afraid to. I know being overweight can contribute to a prolapsed which is why I want to continue my exercise (and of course diet), despite my fears.

If anyone has this, can you tell me your experience with this and if it changed your exercise habits. Thanks.

Replies

• irejb
    irejb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bumping up
  • jigglyspice
    jigglyspice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m not active on this forum often but I do have a rectal prolapse (rectocele) from giving birth. Very generally, prolapse involves stretched or torn “suspension” ligaments/fascia and/or combined with a weakened/torn pelvic floor. What is torn determines how the sagging organs are effected and your prognosis. The doctors may need to know exactly what is torn for planning surgical intervention but you don’t need to know specifics to start avoiding more damage and to start strengthening your pelvic floor. Yes, modifying or stopping a current exercise regime is extremely important! For me, I have been approved to do sitting stationary bicycling and swimming as cardio- there’s activities do not put prolonged or vigiourous downward pressure on the internal organs. I would NOT be ok to run or skip (probably never again in my life) weighted stair climbing, bouncing-type sports, or sport with legs aparts (skating, rollerblading, basketball). I am seeing a pelvic floor physiorherapist to properly engage the firing pattern, relax pattern, strength and symmetry of my pelvic floor muscles. In addition, I am being trained to properly use/train my transverse abdominis (not rectus abdominis) for proper core support. Only when all the pelvic floor, transverse abdominis, and breathing pattern has proven to be working together AND effective, I will be able to do weight bearing strength training. The safest of weight training moves is seated, laying, or isolated-muscle moves (not big compound moves where you cannot properly control your form & core 100%). Being at your ideal body weight is extremely important- any extra weight adds downward pressure on your damaged area.