Amenorrhea Help

Options
I have lost over 3 stone since I found a passion for running. I ran the London Marathon this year and now run 4 times a week - with 3 of the runs lasting longer than an hour. I lift weights at least once a week, usually twice a week at the moment and then have a short Core and Yoga session on a Friday. About 2 months ago I stopped taking the pill (birth control) to give my body a little break as I have been on it for a few years. Since stopping with the pill I haven't had a period. I currently weigh 9 stone 4 pounds and am 5ft5, aged 26 - my BMI is in the middle of the healthy range, so I'm a bit concerned about losing my period. I still have a little bit of weight to lose from my stomach so I have been eating at a deficit.

My running has been going really well, I used to have a lot of trouble with being inconsistent - some days I would struggle to run 2 miles. Now I can run 6-7 miles with no issues, even after work, and recently ran 10 miles non-stop. In the New Year I plan on running 5 times a week and around 40 miles each week as I want to try and get my marathon time down. The ultimate aim is to run all of the Abbott World Major Marathons, which means ultimately qualifying for Boston.

I don't think that I am eating enough to fuel my body correctly, as that seems to be the most common course of amenorrhea. I don't know how many calories I should be eating, especially as my weight loss has slowed to almost a complete stop, despite eating at a deficit. I have been eating between 1400-1800 calories a day since October, but I have now plateaued. I want to lose a little more fat to get some definition on my abs, but want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I don't want to put any weight back on, especially as I am within a healthy BMI range. I have recently moved house so am awaiting registration with a new doctor's practice and then I will be asking some questions, but am just looking for some advice in the meantime.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How long were you on the pill? Your body may just need a little more time to reset. (disclaimer - I am not a doctor, and you should probably ask a doctor this.)
  • _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How long were you on the pill? Your body may just need a little more time to reset. (disclaimer - I am not a doctor, and you should probably ask a doctor this.)

I have been on it since 14, but then take a year or two break every 4-5 years. I restarted back on it 4 years ago so am now taking a break. I have never had this issue before, however I have only started training properly this year.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You do need to talk with doctor as there are several possible reasons. I'm not a doctor, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. As you have alluded to, low body fat percentage can be one cause. Another possibility is that it can actually be normal for a woman to miss one or more cycles. When I went off the pill after 11 years, I didn't have a period for 2 months and then apparently got pregnant the first cycle I did have. I had actually just made an appointment with my GP to discuss my missing period when I got the positive pregnancy test. I was subsequently told by several nurses and doctors that I had probably just skipped 1 or 2 cycles after stopping the pill.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I recommend seeing either a gynecologist or endocrinologist as well, but I can tell you that I lost my period for 3 years after I quit taking BC. I was on the cusp of underweight/normal weight at the time, but my weight hadn't changed from pre-BC to after.

Edit - I'd recommend seeing an endo over an OB/GYN. My gynecologist wasn't able to figure out how to fix it in all that time and a reproductive endocrinologist was able to tell me how to get it back in just a few months. (Hint - the resolution was gaining weight).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    If it continues for more than a couple of months I'd talk to a doctor. I had off and on issues for years but never worried about it because I wasn't interested in getting pregnant. In my case, it was more stress related than weight related. Whenever I'd have major changes in my life, my period would stop for a few months.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the most common cause of not getting a period?
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Your activity level may have stopped it a long time ago, and the pill made it falsely happen. I know someone who was early medipausal and didn’t know it because the hormones gave her false light periods. Check for pregnancy, also. Get a blood panel and check for deficits. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _NMW wrote: »
    I have lost over 3 stone since I found a passion for running. I ran the London Marathon this year and now run 4 times a week - with 3 of the runs lasting longer than an hour. I lift weights at least once a week, usually twice a week at the moment and then have a short Core and Yoga session on a Friday. About 2 months ago I stopped taking the pill (birth control) to give my body a little break as I have been on it for a few years. Since stopping with the pill I haven't had a period. I currently weigh 9 stone 4 pounds and am 5ft5, aged 26 - my BMI is in the middle of the healthy range, so I'm a bit concerned about losing my period. I still have a little bit of weight to lose from my stomach so I have been eating at a deficit.

My running has been going really well, I used to have a lot of trouble with being inconsistent - some days I would struggle to run 2 miles. Now I can run 6-7 miles with no issues, even after work, and recently ran 10 miles non-stop. In the New Year I plan on running 5 times a week and around 40 miles each week as I want to try and get my marathon time down. The ultimate aim is to run all of the Abbott World Major Marathons, which means ultimately qualifying for Boston.

I don't think that I am eating enough to fuel my body correctly, as that seems to be the most common course of amenorrhea. I don't know how many calories I should be eating, especially as my weight loss has slowed to almost a complete stop, despite eating at a deficit. I have been eating between 1400-1800 calories a day since October, but I have now plateaued. I want to lose a little more fat to get some definition on my abs, but want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I don't want to put any weight back on, especially as I am within a healthy BMI range. I have recently moved house so am awaiting registration with a new doctor's practice and then I will be asking some questions, but am just looking for some advice in the meantime.

is that net or gross calories, i'm hoping net, as its very low otherwise?

first thing to do is find your maintenance (along with seeing your doctor of course) and see if the extra fuel helps.

how much exactly do you weigh?
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I legit LOL'd when I read this. 😂

But seriously, take a pregnancy test.
  • _NMW
    Options

This basis has been covered.

When I think about it, my periods were getting lighter whilst I was on birth control since upping my running.

first thing to do is find your maintenance (along with seeing your doctor of course) and see if the extra fuel helps.

That would be my average consumption and then I would exercise on top. I was advised that my maintenance would be 1800 calories so I try to eat at that on running days and at or slightly below that on easier days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

When I think about it, my periods were getting lighter whilst I was on birth control since upping my running.

That would be my average consumption and then I would exercise on top. I was advised that my maintenance would be 1800 calories so I try to eat at that on running days and at or slightly below that on easier days.

Wow, you did a marathon on gross 1800 cals? Just wow. I get serious runger so I just cannot imagine how you did that...
  • _NMW
    Options

Wow, you did a marathon on gross 1800 cals? Just wow. I get serious runger so I just cannot imagine how you did that...

The day of the marathon I had two slices of left over Domino's pizza for breakfast, then 2 bottles of Lucozade and some energy gels, plus water for the entire day... I was unable to eat after the marathon as my teeth were so sensitive. My fiance bought me a muffin but I couldn't even eat that. Drinks were making my teeth sore it was that bad :/

I've found I get less hungry now I have switched to complex carbs and more protein.