Question regarding dumbbell chest exercises.

Options
WarningTheHermit
WarningTheHermit Posts: 18 Member
edited December 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
EDIT: I'ma guy in case it matters.

So, I've never had a chest whatsoever, I'd say it's definitely one of my weakest points.
Looked up several different " dumb bell training" routines, and today tried doing the dumb bell floor press. After doing the recommended sets with a moderate amount of weight ( it was tough but not too tough that I couldn't complete.) I felt absolutely nothing in my chest, instead I felt it in my upper back / lats area instead.

My questions are:

Is there a common thing I could be doing wrong form wise to not activate my chest at all?
Is there a different exercise I could be doing instead maybe for chest? I'm looking for something you yourself currently do or have done, word of mouth about actual experiences with something that worked well, not just blanket heres a list go look at it. (keep in mind I'm too overweight to do pushups etc right now)

Disclaimer, because anytime i say I'm overweight it comes up, I'm already well down the road of weight loss, I know nutrition is the most important thing to getting healthier. Thanks for thinking about me though.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Search function can help you find many previous discussion about "dumbbell chest exercises". I suggest you wade through that pile of information.
  • WarningTheHermit
    Options
    The Search function can help you find many previous discussion about "dumbbell chest exercises". I suggest you wade through that pile of information.

Yes, I can also google dumb bell chest exercises and get thousands of posts, however i posted here to talk to actual people and maybe find someone with suggestions to my exact problem, rather than " wading through" other posts.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Here is a good link for chest exercises. It is a mix of equipment and bodyweight, but should help with exercise variety and correct form.

It lists all kinds of exercises so you may want to keep it bookmarked for future reference.

https://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt

Here is an article about the chest press, video toward the end.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-floor-press-what-makes-the-floor-press-so-special.html

Cheers, h.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Feeling sore is not an indication of an effective workout. Generally you'll feel sore after the first time or two of doing a specific exercise or working a muscle in a new way. That soreness most commonly shows up a day or two after doing the exercise, not the same day.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options

So, I've never had a chest whatsoever, I'd say it's definitely one of my weakest points.
    Looked up several different " dumb bell training" routines, and today tried doing the dumb bell floor press. After doing the recommended sets with a moderate amount of weight ( it was tough but not too tough that I couldn't complete.) I felt absolutely nothing in my chest, instead I felt it in my upper back / lats area instead.

My questions are:

Is there a common thing I could be doing wrong form wise to not activate my chest at all?
    Is there a different exercise I could be doing instead maybe for chest? I'm looking for something you yourself currently do or have done, word of mouth about actual experiences with something that worked well, not just blanket heres a list go look at it. (keep in mind I'm too overweight to do pushups etc right now)

Disclaimer, because anytime i say I'm overweight it comes up, I'm already well down the road of weight loss, I know nutrition is the most important thing to getting healthier. Thanks for thinking about me though.

If you are feeling chest work in your back/arms/core/whatever, its because those muscles are not used to handling the load that the chest workout places on them, and is thus limiting the amount of weight you can use. Keep doing them, eventually the muscles will adapt, and you will be able to target the chest. Also, focus in building the mind-muscle connection by thinking about working that muscle as you work it (IE at the top of a flye, try to squeeze your pecs like you're trying to squeeze a quarter)

You can do pushups. If you are overweight, start with pushups on your knees. If you can't do that, change to a decline style motion with your hands on a counter top, or stairs ideally. Every time you train, try to lower the height at which your hands are until you are on the floor. Once you can do 60+ on the floor, start elevating your feet.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If you can, try doing a "suicide" grip (palms only, no wrapping with the fingers or thumb) on a hammer press machine to get a better feel of how to engage/squeeze the crap out of the chest. Alternatively, you could try doing this using some resistance bands (or cables).

I always use a suicide grip for chest training; it takes some time getting use to & can be hazardous/dangerous using barbells & even dumbbells for beginners.
  • WarningTheHermit
    Options

My questions are:

If you are feeling chest work in your back/arms/core/whatever, its because those muscles are not used to handling the load that the chest workout places on them, and is thus limiting the amount of weight you can use. Keep doing them, eventually the muscles will adapt, and you will be able to target the chest. Also, focus in building the mind-muscle connection by thinking about working that muscle as you work it (IE at the top of a flye, try to squeeze your pecs like you're trying to squeeze a quarter)

You can do pushups. If you are overweight, start with pushups on your knees. If you can't do that, change to a decline style motion with your hands on a counter top, or stairs ideally. Every time you train, try to lower the height at which your hands are until you are on the floor. Once you can do 60+ on the floor, start elevating your feet.

This is the type of post I was lookin for!
    Thanks for the insight man, I'll keep this stuff in mind.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If you want to make progress with pushups, I'd suggest starting with elevated pushups and skipping the ones on your knees. You can do knee pushups like a champ and never progress to full pushups. Kneeling pushups don't activate your core, which is an essential part of doing a full pushup.