So this happened... weight gain after breakfast???

Options
Sparkle097
Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
This morning I weigh myself on the scale. It’s one of those scales that show water, muscle, bmi and fat percentage. This scale is a new one. I bought this yesterday. Anyways this morning before breakfast it said I weigh 58.4kg and after breakfast I weigh again and it said 59.5kg? Is this even normal????
For breakfast I had oatmeal and a banana. Before eating this I drank a glass of water.

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    sathmif465 wrote: »
    This morning I weigh myself on the scale. It’s one of those scales that show water, muscle, bmi and fat percentage. This scale is a new one. I bought this yesterday. Anyways this morning before breakfast it said I weigh 58.4kg and after breakfast I weigh again and it said 59.5kg? Is this even normal????
    For breakfast I had oatmeal and a banana. Before eating this I drank a glass of water.

This can be explained by some combination of (the weight of the food and water you ate, which could been as much as 0.5kg), any difference in clothing between your before and after breakfast weigh-in, and (yes) fluctuations made by nearly all digital scales.

If the fluctuations are a problem for you, switch to an analog scale. Last I checked, fat percentage is not very accurate on a digital scale, and there are online calculators that do BMI if you just plug in your height and weight.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It's very normal. In fact it sounds just about right. Your glass of water, oatmeal, and banana weighed probably about 1 kilo. That all goes into your body. Your body releases the non-caloric portion of your food/water throughout the day through sweat and going to the bathroom. My weight fluctuates a few kilos with the day because of this. This is normal and a reason why weighing yourself too often can be a bad thing if these fluctuations will get to you like this.
  • Sparkle097
    Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I understand now.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sathmif465 wrote: »

Step on your scale and weigh yourself. Drink exactly 16 oz of water. Step on your scale again. You should have gained 1 pound. What you eat and drink makes a difference which is why most people only weigh themselves in the morning after the toilet and before the coffee. It is the closest you will get to consistency.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The food and drink had weight that now resides in you. It would be abnormal if you didn't weigh more after breakfast.

And what you ate doesn't necessarily equal the increase on the scale, either, as I discovered the other day! I had cereal and a cup of tea - a mere 30g of solid food and maybe 300-350ml of liquid - and apparently instantly put on 1.5lbs.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can gain a pound just by stepping off my scale and immediatly stepping back on. I don't count those. If the second weighing shows a loss, I will gleefully accept the fact that I lost weight by burning calories by stepping off/on the scale.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The food and drink had weight that now resides in you. It would be abnormal if you didn't weigh more after breakfast.

The banana is 100gr, a glass of water is 250gr. So the oatmeal must've been 850gr. I think this is what the OP is confused about. It doesn't add up.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Of course it is normal. You had breakfast it is still in your stomach so simple addition of weights(your and the breakfast).
    Metabolism is not instant
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »

The banana is 100gr, a glass of water is 250gr. So the oatmeal must've been 850gr. I think this is what the OP is confused about. It doesn't add up.

That would be one of the smallest glasses of water ever. Considering a can of pop is 355 ml.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Typically what ever the weight is of what you put into your body will be about the same weight you will temporarily gain after the meal.