1st week and didn’t drop any weight

Options
Just completed my 1st week and haven’t lost anything. Why? 🥴

Replies

• Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a lot of info. What diet are you on? What are your macros? TDEE and deficit you are doing. etc... Explain more and you'll get some answers.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    One week is not enough time to tell. Dropping to 1000 calories a day is really not advisable and really not sustainable you will be awfully hungry.

1200 is the minimum that MFP will give you because it is the minimum a woman needs to ensure enough nutrients. MFP has given you a goal that already has the deficit built in. Trust the process. Going below 1200 for any length of time could give you health issues.

If you give us some more information we could give you better advice. Weight height and how much you are looking to lose.

Also are you using a food scale to weigh and measure everything you eat and using correct entries from the data base ( they can vary a lot)

Be patient give it at least a month - 6 weeks before you decide it is not working.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    When I started my current journey a little over 3 months ago, nothing “happens” the first 25 days ordo. Actually, the scale readings went north some. I remained steadfast snd disciplined and made some recalibration adjustments to my plan. Soon thereafter, I started to see some weigh-in results and the weight ha been continually dropping according to plan.

Desire, discipline, patience and perseverance will get your job done.

Good luck!
  • ashlynn22096
    ashlynn22096 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m 3 days in on this app. I think it’s time for a change in my life. I want to feel good and hangs my health that way I can live a long happy life.
    My whole life Ive struggled with loosing weight . When do you know it’s “really time “ it’s so hard not to say no or eat just whatever is around. SOS sick & tried of being over weight .
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    mandy138 wrote: »
    I’m new to this and still finding my feet with this app. Thank you for replying. 1st week I’m working off of 1200 calories but this week I’ve changed it to 1000 - hopefully see a difference.
    Thank you for your support, much appreciated

1000 calories a day?
    Wow, how do you get your nutrients?
    Why such a strict calorie count?
    Are you bed ridden?
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anything in a month, but I have lost inches at my waist. So measure and check this each month
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I didnt start losing weight until I fueled my body properly. At 1200 my body literally said nope, I'm holding on to fat because you're starving me! Lol 1500 to 1800 is what I consume depending on my workout activity for the day. Sometimes 2200. And I lose consistently. Your BMR is higher than 1200 calories. Literally what your body burns just to keep you alive, breathing, circulating blood etc Unless you're bed ridden or severally obese I'd say you're roughly 1400 ish ish (obviously I don't know, just playing pretend) so it's roughly 1400 calories to keep you alive. If you consume less than that it is not just fat you're losing. If you're sedentary (let's say) your TDEE .. total day calories burned..by taking a shower, cooking, driving etc could roughly be at 2000. So eating more calories you're still at a deficit. A more healthy one. 1 week is nothing, you're body doesn't hit that automatic you've burned 3500 calories, boom 1 lb gone instant. It's a science. As well as hormones, salt intake etc you might of lost weight, but maybe had too much sodium. Most people that have big losses the first week anyway it's mostly water. Unless you're working out and burning 14000 cals. That's 4 lb loss amd what it takes. Everyone on here who's been successful has ups and downs, bit the one constant.... is being constant :) Life changes vs quick instant 40 lb loss. Sister stick with it, up your cals and start moving! You got this, SO sorry for the book! Haha

you dont hold onto fat because of eating so little calories. it doesnt work that way or those who do starve themselves and those who cant get enough food to eat would not lose fat when your body is starving it will literally take fat,muscle and lean mass to fuel itself. which means organs too. as for someones BMR being more than 1200 when you dont know their stats is a blanket statement. for me according to calculators my BMR is supposed to be between 1400 and 1600 calories. its 1272 calories. lower than it should be even being lightly active. I have 5 years worth of data shpowing thats what it is.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Pull out the measuring cups. 1/4 cup of something can be smaller than you think. You need to pay attention to actual calories of your products, several items can vary. large orange vs cutie orange, dry measures vs wet cooked, added sauce, dressing, oils can be very hidden.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    Pull out the measuring cups. 1/4 cup of something can be smaller than you think. You need to pay attention to actual calories of your products, several items can vary. large orange vs cutie orange, dry measures vs wet cooked, added sauce, dressing, oils can be very hidden.

measuring cups are going to be inaccurate for solid and semi solids. trust me on that. I used them and lost weight at first,but then started gaining it back because I was eating more food than I thought. a half cup of oats(40g) can end up being 50g or more(so more than half). and a large orange vs a cutie yeah there is going to be a BIG difference there. two oranges of the same size arent going to be the same weight and calories either. which is why a food scale is ideal. although not everyone needs one right away,some dont need one at all. a 1/4 cup of something dry often tends to be more than 1/4 of a cup,very rarely is it less
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    mandy138 wrote: »
    Just completed my 1st week and haven’t lost anything. Why? 🥴

Well your expecting miracles thats why. What took probably years to put on, cannot melt off. Your body needs time to adjust assuming you are eating healthy and exercising. Also with no info we are all left assuming.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    A week is absolutely not long enough to draw any real conclusions. Give it some time & be patient. It's a process & it takes consistency over time.

1200 cal/day for me would be starving (I'm currently at around 1850/day and losing); at 1000 cal/day I seriously doubt you're getting adequate nutrition.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Please give it more time and eat more than 1000 calories a day. It might take a few weeks for that scale to show anything. However a scale is only one way to measure success. There are many non scale victories that you can turn to. Like how your clothes fit or how many inches you lose or simply how much better you feel after a work out. I hit the gym hard this last week going twice a day and I only lost one pound but I feel great and my clothes are fitting better than they were just two weeks ago. Have patience and trust the process and you will succeed.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options

measuring cups are going to be inaccurate for solid and semi solids. trust me on that. I used them and lost weight at first,but then started gaining it back because I was eating more food than I thought. a half cup of oats(40g) can end up being 50g or more(so more than half). and a large orange vs a cutie yeah there is going to be a BIG difference there. two oranges of the same size arent going to be the same weight and calories either. which is why a food scale is ideal. although not everyone needs one right away,some dont need one at all. a 1/4 cup of something dry often tends to be more than 1/4 of a cup,very rarely is it less

Note....It depends on if something is by weight vice volume. If it is by weight a scale of course is best. I think it is worth the caution, but don’t discount good measuring cups, and pay attention to the line for fill which may not be even with the top, and level the tea spoon or tablespoon. Also don’t “pack it down”.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Note....It depends on if something is by weight vice volume. If it is by weight a scale of course is best. I think it is worth the caution, but don’t discount good measuring cups, and pay attention to the line for fill which may not be even with the top, and level the tea spoon or tablespoon. Also don’t “pack it down”.

measuring cups are meant for liquids not solids or semi solids though,same with spoons. if you take a half cup of oats and weigh it (minus the cup) even with it leveled and at half a cup 9/10 times its more than the 40g on the label. food is to be weighed by weight not volume. try using a measuring spoon for peanut butter and see what happens. you will see what I mean.trust me I knew to level everything off and still was eating too much and gaining weight back. hubby tonight weighed out a cup of rice. the serving size for the rice was 44g, it ended up being 3/4 of a cup volume wise
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If it's around "that time of the month" it's possible you could have gained water weight that balanced out any losses.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!