Should I aim for 1 or 2 lbs a week?

Hello all!

I am a 5’7 179 lb young woman. I started at 240 lbs as a teenager but have just been maintaining and living life for a couple years. I’d like to get back on the weight loss wagon, but I’m rusty. My goal is to get to 135. I was wondering if aiming for 2 lbs slows down your metabolism/you lose more muscle/if there were negative consequences to trying to lose this weight at a faster rate of 2 lbs as opposed to 1 or 1.5? Basically, is 2 lbs or about 1250 calories too drastic? Thank you!!

Replies

• MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    If your calorie deficit is 1000cal/day (2 lbs weightloss), yes you are likely to lose more muscle. Eating that few calories you're probably going to be tired/grumpy after the initial honeymoon phase. Not because your metabolism would slow down (starvation mode is not really a thing), but because your body wouldn't have much fuel.

1% a week is 1.8lbs, but that's maximum loss. I would shoot for 1lb/week if it were me, and if muscle loss is a worry (I think it might be or you wouldn't have mentioned it), make sure to do strength training. The added bonus of strength training is recomp, plus preserving muscle mass will help your TDEE.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i would go for 1.5lbs per week for the first 10lbs and then 1lb per week.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    In addition to losing muscle if you go too quickly you should also consider that ease of adherence needs to trump speed unless there is a medical situation. By that I mean if you try to go faster to "get it over with" you may struggle to stick with it. If by going slower makes it easier you have a better chance at being successful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I'm your height and would not be fit to live with if I only ate 1250 calories :lol:
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Thank you all so much!! I think I’m going to eat about 1500 calories and see how that feels. If I eat 1600 or something then that’s wiggle room. Best of luck to you all!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Here's my experience: I'm 5' 7", started at 173 pounds. Set my weight loss goal to lose 2 pounds a week. Ate 1200 calories a day. Lost 30 pounds in 5 months. It was WAY TOO FAST. I was running, taking Zumba classes, and lifting weights. Despite using weights, I lost muscle mass, especially in my biceps, triceps and forearms. I lost the breast support of my pectorals. That's my cautionary tale. I'm glad you've decided to take it slow!