Any validity to this carb cycling method?

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For my last two cuts, I have carb cycled. I do enjoy it since I feel like it boosts my workout performance (for at least a few days a week I don't feel like a weakling in the gym), helps my adherence (it's nice being able to have 3 bowls of pasta and pancakes with syrup on the weekends!), there is also a case for improved hormone levels with refeeds.. reducing the hunger hormones and extra carbs to help bring your body to a temporary anabolic state to help preserve muscle. But I do believe it has to be a few days of refeed days in a row to really see any benefit. I know Lyle McDonald talks about refeeds and carb cycling quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will turn you into a fat burning machine as your article suggests, I would find some better sources for your information. It can help with improved gym performance and adherence at least, so perhaps indirectly it might help. Anyways, give it a go especially if you already have your calories and macros under control and want to try something new.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No disrespect but I really think you need to turn your attention to training and adding muscle because as you said yourself in various posts you barely bench 160 and have been training for years. So something is really not right there and we need to figure that out. You won’t be happy with the results cutting more the muscle doesn’t exist yet
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In my experience carb cycling does work, last year I prepped without carb cycling late last year I started working with Skip Hill and he had me going high carbs once a week in prep using his skiploading method which is very high simple carbs for a set amount of time,nothing else was changed and I was definitely leaner and bigger at my competitions this year
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    I believe you're right sij. Getting to the gym consistently has been an ongoing issue for me due to family and other crap. I just bought a set of adjustable dumbbells, up to 100 lbs each, so I'm going to select one of the dumbbell only training routines from the sticky post, and follow it. So whether I'm at home, or at the gym, I can stick to the same routine. I'll eat around 2,300 calories per day as I'm quite sedentary when not working out. Do you think it's a good plan?

Training volume is such a key part of making progress - I think that's a great idea.
    As a rough guide for most of my adult life once a week training meant loss of strength and size, twice a week was roughly strength and muscle size maintenance and three sessions a week meant progress.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    three sessions meaning full body 3 times per week?

I'd put it as the more ambiguous "working each muscle group 3 times" a week for me - but that's by no means universal and a lot depends on training status, training plan and how an individual responds to their program.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think following the dumbbell program is a good idea and make sure you track your lifts, use good form and attempt to add a reps or weight each week without going to failure. Progressive overload.. the calories is hard to say. You are tall and male. It’s seems a touch low but adjust as needed. There are always adjustments to be made in this game

• latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I think you are at a completely different point of training and advancement then OP. I’m not sure a beginner who isn’t on prep needs to carb cycle

That might be the case but I use a similar method all be it with shorter load times with weight loss clients and it works well of course it’s not essential and there are many effective ways of handling nutrition I think the main thing is picking a plan that your likely to stick to