University Gym? Apartment Gym? Local Gym?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
Ok...I am going back to my university tomorrow for my second year of school, and I am huge on working out! This summer, I did a summer membership at the gym I used all throughout high school and I absolutely love it and will miss it so much. One of the main things I will miss are the people of course, but the group classes as well. When I go back tomorrow...I am debating between using my apartment and university gym only, or joining a gym a few miles away.

Now, you're probably asking why I would consider joining a gym when I have two free ones available. Well, the one at my apartment is free, and 24 hours, BUT it has VERY LIMITED equipment that's not the best quality. The one at my university I would only use on weekends, and use my apartment one throughout the week, because it's down one of my least favorite and most dangerous roads (it's very hilly in my city), and I would go to it to use the better equipment we don't have at the apartment.

Now, my university does have group classes, however, you have to pay for them, and parking sucks around campus...I'll mainly be taking our university shuttle to/from campus/apartment and leaving my car at the apartment during the week. Plus, sometimes they get so crowded, with over 100 people in one room, or they limit a certain number of people or run out of bikes.

I found a gym that offers a lot of the group classes I enjoy, and they're calling me tonight to discuss how much a membership would be for a student. I am strongly considering it because it'd be only a bit more expensive then buying a group ex pass for my university gym, has more people then just college students (which I like because ours gets so crowded and noisy), has convenient hours, personal trainers, and is only a few miles from my apartment. At my apartment during the week, I'd be very limited and could probably only use a stationary bike and treadmill, but I like to be able to mix it up everyday...and we barely have anything. I'm also training for a half marathon and like to cross train with group ex and spinning.

What are your opinions? I have a lot of money saved up from working in high school, and every month my dad sends me a check for rent, food, utilities, and the extra for spending money. I also pay for gas with a card from him. I don't work during the year, just summer so I can focus on school, and am very money cautious. I don't shop a lot, party, or club, so I feel like the gym membership would be a good investment for me. Opinions?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Go for it. A gym that doesn't offer what you want/like will make you not want to go. Trust me, been there, done that.

Enjoy school!!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Umm can we share your dad?! I wouldnt mind getting my rent paid lol Youre lucky chick! I know what you mean about the apartmetn gym! Mine is tiny tiny too, i would love to join the gym across the street from my apartment but Im a little broke right now lol If you have the money go to the "outside" gym if its where your the most comfortable :)
  • joe1897
    joe1897 Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree and have also been in a situation where I despised the gym that I went to - for a while. Now that I'm going to a gym that I really like, I'm dropping weight like it's no problem.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the gym down the street.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Umm can we share your dad?! I wouldnt mind getting my rent paid lol Youre lucky chick! I know what you mean about the apartmetn gym! Mine is tiny tiny too, i would love to join the gym across the street from my apartment but Im a little broke right now lol If you have the money go to the "outside" gym if its where your the most comfortable :)

LOL! My dad is awesome. He's saved up for my college since I was a baby, and as long as I keep my grades up and do well, he will provide my education. :)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with the gym down the street!!!
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'd say try it out for a while and if it is in your financial ability to join a nicer facility& you still want to- go for it.
    I just recently moved and had to give up my really nice gym membership for my apartment gym. I can still get a great workout even though the machines aren't as nice. I love that it is less than a block to walk to get there- it leaves me with no excuses. I say don't knock it before you try it! Good luck though!
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would say local gym if it's affordable for you. It sounds like you're really psyched about the classes and everything else it offers. And it's definitely worth it if you will stay motivated.

Have fun with school!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    MY opinion? Go to the one you want. If you don't love it you won't use it. Been there and done that. Still checking for a place near me that offers what I want and need.