Back again...I will conquer this.

Options
I have to. My life depends on this.

I had a health scare last week and went to the ER. Long story short, I have added high blood pressure to my growing list of medical issues. Gout, mild fatty liver, increasingly overweight (210 lbs), knee pain, etc.

The blood pressure one scares me because it's quite high....150/100. I'm 35 so it shouldn't be this high.

I started a business a couple years ago and it has taken a toll on me, but I also haven't been paying attention to my health. My business is doing well but what happens is I get lazy or feel entitled to eat out often and well.

After last week's hospital scare, I am determined to fix this. Need to fix the root problem which is me - I am lazy, overweight and don't eat well.

This is my 2nd day of eating well and I'm really enjoying it. Just fruit/vegetables mainly and no salt. I've just been eating mainly just whole foods with a particular aim at high potassium/magnesium foods to combat hypertension - bananas, avocados, sweet potato, spinach etc. It's really nice to cook again and just eat healthy. I've always enjoyed cooking but since i started my (food) business, i never cook anymore. I made some brothy vegetable soups, did a foil baked tilapia with tomatoes/zuchini/garlic. No salt in anything and no processed ingredients.

I'm starting to get back to the gym for some cardio everyday.

My short term goal : get to 200 lbs, monitor my bp and hope it goes down.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• efstuck
    efstuck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are in a similar journey/battle...please add me as a friend. We need to lean on one another!
  • Morocha42
    Morocha42 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hopes up!!! And keep motivated! It’s a journey!!! Fun roller coaster !!! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • IamtheFire139
    IamtheFire139 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    4th time trying to stick with this. I get it. Its tough but not impossible. 1 good choice at a time.
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi there, this is my 3rd time but I am back because of a health scare too! I have had a healthy life in general but always yo- yoed with my weight. Last December I suffered temporary partial sight loss & was told I had had a mini stroke (TIA) due to atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat). I suffered nothing else but now take medication regularly & was told to lose weight. Since last January I have lost 46 lbs! I am so proud of myself, there is nothing like a threat to your mortality to put things in perspective! My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol is too & I feel so much fitter. You will do this because of your own determination, it is possible by making good choices & eating from a smaller plate....it worked for me!! GOOD LUCK! 😊
  • efstuck
    efstuck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Teacherspet... Definitely the impending sense of mortality is some major motivation. It's do or die literally.

46lbs! That's incredible. I'm doing it!
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs on my own because I had osteoarthritis in both knees . Just two months ago I had one full knee replacement. And just 5 weeks and 2 days I had my other full knee replacement. My weight has gone up 10 but my goal of eating healthy and choosing to exercise I will lose the rest of the weight . Just know it’s all a slow process and never give up . We all slip up but get back and choose to live the healthy lifestyle . The key is you have to want and out that in your heart .
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was you just six months ago. On June 26, at my wellness exam, I learned my BP was 140/100. Today it’s 123/75. At the time I weighed 205 pounds. Today I’m 165 pounds.

I can share my story with you, if you’d like. But I did everything different.

-water
    -calories
    -macros
    -cardio
    -meals
    -weights

Let me k ow if you want to connect. If you start today, in six months, you can achieve all of your goals, starting win that high BP.
  • petethegamer01
    petethegamer01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also back again, and definitely on a mission. We all got this!
  • _MissBrie
    _MissBrie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    efstuck wrote: »
    I have to. My life depends on this.

I had a health scare last week and went to the ER. Long story short, I have added high blood pressure to my growing list of medical issues. Gout, mild fatty liver, increasingly overweight (210 lbs), knee pain, etc.

The blood pressure one scares me because it's quite high....150/100. I'm 35 so it shouldn't be this high.

I started a business a couple years ago and it has taken a toll on me, but I also haven't been paying attention to my health. My business is doing well but what happens is I get lazy or feel entitled to eat out often and well.

After last week's hospital scare, I am determined to fix this. Need to fix the root problem which is me - I am lazy, overweight and don't eat well.

This is my 2nd day of eating well and I'm really enjoying it. Just fruit/vegetables mainly and no salt. I've just been eating mainly just whole foods with a particular aim at high potassium/magnesium foods to combat hypertension - bananas, avocados, sweet potato, spinach etc. It's really nice to cook again and just eat healthy. I've always enjoyed cooking but since i started my (food) business, i never cook anymore. I made some brothy vegetable soups, did a foil baked tilapia with tomatoes/zuchini/garlic. No salt in anything and no processed ingredients.

I'm starting to get back to the gym for some cardio everyday.

My short term goal : get to 200 lbs, monitor my bp and hope it goes down.

Good luck everyone!

Make sure not to completely get rid of salt in your diet, it’s actually very important! When I initially needed to lose weight, I went vegan, and lost nearly 50 pounds in less than six months. I was able to keep it off, even after incorporating meat back in to my diet. I just continued to leave dairy out. After having a child, I needed to lose the weight again and went keto. Body fat almost melts off your body right before your eyes with that diet. I lost weight rather quickly with that...but be careful when trying to eat carbs again, because you will likely want to eat A LOT of them, and the weight will come back quicker than it came off!

I’m sure you will do wonderfully with your journey! Just stay strong and keep going! I’m sorry for your health scare, but it’s awesome you’re changing things for yourself! Cheers!