needing advice on the best low calories foods to snack and add to meals

Options
Is there any super food that is great for you, filling, and low calorie that you can eat at almost every meal?

I've been told, eggs, yogurt and potatoes.

To be honest I'm sure every vegetable is going to be really good, but just looking to see if there is a few that stand out for filling you up and helping with hunger.

Replies

• Locqlynn
    Locqlynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also, I really don't have any friends on this site, if you would like to be friends, that would be awesome :) Everyone is welcome
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You may have to experiment to figure out what foods work best for you. If you are a 'volume eater' or someone who needs to or likes to eat a large volume at a meal, maybe have a salad with each meal. When I'm feeling 'snacky', often I'll make a salad or grab some cucumbers and tomatoes. But the foods that satiate me most are things like greek yogurt (LOVE the 5% Fage yogurt with honey). In order to feel full, I have to eat some fat and protein. Yogurt does it for me with a fairly small dose. I also love to add avocado to my salads. And when eating steak or other meat, I'll often eat some of the fat that didn't get trimmed off. However, everyone is different, so just experiment and you'll find what works for you.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    People often think of protein, fiber and watery foods as filling foods. Some people also find fat filling. It may just be something you need to play around with.

I love eating foods with high water content. You can eat a lot for very few calories. The downside for me is I don't feel full a few hours later - but I think they make great snacks. For example cucumber, lettuce, watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, strawberries.

I think fibrous vegetables make a great addition to a meal. My favorites veggie sides are broccoli, cauliflower, green beans.

The lean proteins I like are chicken, turkey, some fish, yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites - and a few others that are just to expensive to have that often.

Last - for me there is something very special about the potato. While it is more calories - the potato is something that fills me up for many hours. I really like the taste of yukon gold potato and think it is tasty with out butter.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hello! As the others have said, you'll have to see what works for you. I like spring mix salad and riced cauliflower as low-calorie ways to bulk up my meals. Sending a friend request!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Pickles. Low calorie and delicious.. well. if you like them at least. Get the spicy ones too. Spicy foods always seem to make me feel fuller.