ladies and gentlemen...lend me your tips!

Options
You know, those pearls of wisdom you've learned work for weight loss, motivation, nutrition, etc....

Here are mine (in no particular order)

Never bring junk food in your house unless you can handle the calories in the entire package...I've learned that if I buy the small bag of chips (mmmm....chips) I eat the small bag. If I buy the big one, I eat the big bag. This for me goes for those "hundred calorie packs" too...if there are six in a box, that's one big six-hundred-calorie pack in my experience. ;)

Workout if you've scheduled a workout....especially if you don't want to.

Eat something green at every meal.

and...the one I learn and relearn a million times every day (drumroll please) forgive yourself! Every meal, snack, day, post-holiday meal nap is a new start.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You know, those pearls of wisdom you've learned work for weight loss, motivation, nutrition, etc....

Here are mine (in no particular order)

Never bring junk food in your house unless you can handle the calories in the entire package...I've learned that if I buy the small bag of chips (mmmm....chips) I eat the small bag. If I buy the big one, I eat the big bag. This for me goes for those "hundred calorie packs" too...if there are six in a box, that's one big six-hundred-calorie pack in my experience. ;)

Workout if you've scheduled a workout....especially if you don't want to.

Eat something green at every meal.

and...the one I learn and relearn a million times every day (drumroll please) forgive yourself! Every meal, snack, day, post-holiday meal nap is a new start.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Options
    Viviakay, I have to say your attitude is wonderful. I forgive myself all the time, then I get back on the horse. There's no point in giving up after one day of bad eating. I don't have any foods that are No No foods, because then I'd want them all the more. I just try to be sensible about it. Instead of getting two scoops of icecream I get one. I buy lower fat, and lower calorie foods and only have the recommended serving. Sometimes I can even have half a serving and it is plenty. I didn't realize just how much was in a tablespoon of mayo until I measured it out. It's a lot in servings. Really there is no reason to have to use a full serving all the time.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i get a lot of inspiration from the biggest loser program.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I also get a lot of inspiration from the biggest loser.

Currently I eat mostly protein foods (shrimp and tuna without mayo), fresh veggies and fruit. At least one apple everyday and something green. I try not to eat bread products. But today I was craving, almost smelling, toast. So I had a piece and savored every bite very slowly.

I get up very early (5:15AM) and go to the gym. I get there before I am really awake and so I don't have much time to think about whether I actually want to be there or not.

Right now I try to avoid eating with my husband (sounds terrible, but he can eat anything and he's a rail) or I make my own food when I do eat with him. But he is sweet and supportive and tries to make lean foods when he cooks.

Thanks for sharing tips!
  • Kali13
    Kali13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Come 6pm every night, I don't care what I'm doing, EVERYTHING STOPS. I jump into my exercise clothes and head downstairs to work out.

Having that set time every evening seems to work for me. But I also have a day off every three or four days. That gives me some margin for things like going out to dinner and stuff.

Hope that helps.
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    lotusfromthemud is absolutely right in not bringing the big bag of snacks into the house . i love chocolate , but i buy a very small bar so I am not tempted ( especially late at night ) to eat a family size bar . Same for potato chips . i fill myself up with teas- herbal teas , black teas with a dash of milk & i have just discovered fat free low calorie hot chocolate ! The fibre from oranges also helps fill me up .
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Good tips from everyone. Mine is "plan ahead". I preplan my exercise and meals every morning. This is particlary important on days I am eating out (I always check out the menu of the restaurant we are going to and decide in advance what ivwill order). The day does not always go as planned, but most of the time if does.

The other thing I do, which may not work for everyone. is eat the same thing for breakfast and for lunch every day. .. the variety comes at dinner. This greatly simplifies and reduces the amount of time spent on meal tracking and planning.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Simple be consistent
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Log everything as accurately as you can, no exceptions. Weigh food whenever possible. Weigh often; learn to expect fluctuations and track trends. Don't cheat.
  • CoffeeB1tch
    CoffeeB1tch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do something that you can commit to long-term.
    Can I never eat chocolate again? No. So make it work.
    Will I want to lift weights for the rest of my life? Probably, yeah. So that's a good option for me
    Will I be happy on Keto? Absolutely not. Pass for me

Basically, be realistic about what you can and cannot change and what you want to do to get to your goals.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Wow.

11 year old thread.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Wow.

11 year old thread.

I'm waiting to see one that's old enough to vote.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Wow.

11 year old thread.

How about drink? Surely drinking is more important than voting....
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Wow.

11 year old thread.

How about drink? Surely drinking is more important than voting....

Drinking is just another 5 years away :tongue:

(Disclaimer: check the rules and regulation for where ever you happen to be living to see what is and is not legal. Wine and beer are legal at 16 in Switzerland. :tongue: )